Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need A New Computer.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 irishgodfather

irishgodfather

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

I will need one with a very fast processor, a large hard drive, plenty of ram and a DVD burner.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...320#DetailSpecs
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 irishgodfather

irishgodfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

Going to look now.
Thanks
Bill

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

If you're willing to do a bit of reading and some research you could build one yourself. For the same price as the Sony posted earlier you could a much better performing pc for the same price or less. It's up to you though.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 irishgodfather

irishgodfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

If you're willing to do a bit of reading and some research you could build one yourself. For the same price as the Sony posted earlier you could a much better performing pc for the same price or less. It's up to you though.

I'm thinking of that to. I built this one.

#6 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

Building your own will probably be a slightly worse deal than buying one simply because of all the software a PC comes bundled with.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

You would be better off with several drives instead of one huge drive.

Option 1

1-200 GB drive

Option 2

1-120 GB, 2-40 gb
C:\Windows (40 GB)
D:\DATA, MP3, AVI (120 GB)
E:\Windows Backup (40 gb)

Option 3

1-160 GB, 1-40 GB
C:\Windows (40 GB)
D:\DATA, MP3 (160 GB Drive with 120 GB Partition)
E:\Winows Backup (Second Partition on 160 GB Drive)

I prefer a Windows back to a data back up drive so I can get my C:\ drive back quicker. I keep all my data backed up to CD, soon to be dual layer DVD-RW. But one more drive to backup the DATA would be cool too.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:21 PM

Building your own will probably be a slightly worse deal than buying one simply because of all the software a PC comes bundled with.

Not really... most of the software bundled with is only demo or trial version and generally you can find some software that functions the same if not better for free. Plus I think that software they give is just annoying. Anyway a $1200 computer should not have a X300, that's just sad. For that price you could build a way better machine. Here's what I'd recommend:

ASUS KN8 Ultra $105
AMD Opteron 148 $250 (amazing at overclocking) -or- AMD Athlon 3700+ $230
1GB Crucial Ballistix RAM $120
eVGA 6800GS $209 ( 6800gt hardly performs any better than this and it's cheaper.)
WD Caviar 200GB $100
Antec TPII 430w $70
Total: $830-850

Take that add a case, a couple fans, your DVD drive and burner and you have a much better rig for less. Also, you could just partition your hard drive. OS: 10GB; Backup OS: partition 10GB; Rest for media and apps.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:33 PM

Dear Irish,

You really can't buy a new computer with all the quality you want without spending a fortune. Even then, you will have a gripe or two.

So, what kind of computer do you want? I see you want a big drive, Ram, CPU, and sorts. But what do you want to use it for?

Are you a gamer? Are you a burner? Are you a smiley :thumbsup: ?

Ok the last is a funny.

Here's something to keep in mind when you are buying. A power supply! This is the least appreciated device in the computer but the most important. You should buy a 550 watt or better and by a good brand.

The next is a case. This is very important. Do you want to go air or liquid cooling? Most of us can't afford an efficient liquid cooling system so we go air. Does ok until summer and then you will see all kinds of bleepes.

So with that in mind, we need answers?! :flowers:

Let us know,

junkdk :trumpet:
Your Hardware Guide.

#10 irishgodfather

irishgodfather
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

Not really... most of the software bundled with is only demo or trial version and generally you can find some software that functions the same if not better for free. Plus I think that software they give is just annoying. Anyway a $1200 computer should not have a X300, that's just sad. For that price you could build a way better machine. Here's what I'd recommend:

ASUS KN8 Ultra $105
AMD Opteron 148 $250 (amazing at overclocking) -or- AMD Athlon 3700+ $230
1GB Crucial Ballistix RAM $120
eVGA 6800GS $209 ( 6800gt hardly performs any better than this and it's cheaper.)
WD Caviar 200GB $100
Antec TPII 430w $70
Total: $830-850

Take that add a case, a couple fans, your DVD drive and burner and you have a much better rig for less. Also, you could just partition your hard drive. OS: 10GB; Backup OS: partition 10GB; Rest for media and apps.

All of the above plus I build web sites.
I really want to copy some VHS movies to DVD disks.

#11 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:01 PM

Dear Irish,

I hope you mean home movies and not theater movies. In my experience, moving analog to digital movies brings all kinds of imperfections. I just buy the cheap DVD version.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users