Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Antivirus 2011 removed but still no internet connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shoecity

shoecity

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hi. New to bleepingcomputer.com. Hope someone can help me as my eyes are hurting from all the sites I've visited to figure out how to fix my computer.

Husband was using my computer and it appears that Internet Antivirus 2011 was attemting to install but did not complete the installation but did enough damage so that I can't get online. I've tried using RKill and then Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but after 5 files that were quarantined, I still can't get online. AVG also found 2 files that I quarantined. I tried finding the files listed in the spyware forum, but couldn't find any. I can log on as computer administrator and be able to go online, but not as my user account. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this problem? I was thinking of creating another user and then just move everything over, but I'd rather get the stuff off my computer completely. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coypu

coypu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

I had the same symptom and did the following - this is not a suggestion for you, but describes what I did with the same symptom.

A trojan attempted to infect my PC and was stopped before it could install.
The malware files were cleaned off, but a setting was left behind, specifically, a setting to tell Windows to use a proxy server but without an address for the proxy server. Here is what I did:
1. Opened Internet Explorer.
2. Clicked Tools, Internet Options.
3. Clicked the connections tab.
4. Clicked the LAN settings button.

There was a checkmark in the check box "Use a proxy server for your LAN", but the Address was blank. I unchecked the box, then OK and OK, and my connection was restored. Again this is not advice for you, just a record of what I did with a similar symptom, but since it was so simple to correct I am sharing my experience.

coypu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users