Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost windows 7 password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 melissasee

melissasee

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

I got a HP laptop off a friend and he can't remember what the password is and he never made a password recovery disk. What can i do to reset the password so i can access it? I can't even get off the login screen!

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2010 - 06:42 PM.
Set invisible, pending review ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Pull the trigger on F8 during boot, safe mode, user account, reset password. If that doesn't work, repost and we'll try to solve it. Happy Safe New Year, LT Dan

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2010 - 08:07 AM.
Removed suggestion to PM re forum business ~ Hamluis.

Elvis has left the buidling...

#3 melissasee

melissasee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

only account on it is admin

#4 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hi, have you tried what LT Dan suggested??. in "safemode" as Administrator go to user accounts and click on the account that is passworded and remove the password.reboot in normal mode and you should be able to enter windows without a password!!or if this does not work there is numerous software that will recover passwords for you though you have to pay for it!!! Though i found a free one here... http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/ download the bootable cd version and use it like a boot disc and it will show all passwords that have been used and entered for various things i.e... Admin, users, and other logins .
Hope this helps
Iain.
Happy New Year
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#5 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

Here is a link that should help you crack that password

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29694/how-to-crack-your-forgotten-windows-password/

#6 BrandonWenger

BrandonWenger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

I recommend the following:

Windows Password Removal Tool

I have had mixed results with Ophcrack, but this one works. Just read the instructions before you use it. I prefer this program because of the way it does its job. When loaded, it does not give the user access to a list of passwords in the system. Rather, it allows the user to strip the password from a specific account. When I do work for someone, I use this program. How many people do you know that use the same password for everything? There are many, many people that do. Using this lets the user back in, but keeps everything else safe. A friend of mine had created an account on his mom's computer. He did not set up admin privileges on his account because he was always able to use his mom's profile and he preferred to keep things like installations and major system changes to a minimum. He did not count on his mom forgetting her password after she changed it one night. (She had been drinking.) During the process of changing things, she set up parental controls on her own account. She was only able to access her Windows account between 1:30 and 2:30 in the morning. This program allowed me to access the account and make the appropriate changes.
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 58 C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 659MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Jh (Socket 989)
Graphics
MEUSLCD4 @ 1920x1080
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1600x900
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 40 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N
DWVM XQRCP67K9 SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio