Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open a Microsoft word doc with office 2007

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:55 PM

When I open a microsoft office word document a light blue screen comes up which is usually the screen behind the word doc that opens. In order for me to pull up the doc I am looking for I have to hit the menu on top left and click recent documents and then it opens the doc. Also, if I right click and choose word to open the doc an error message pops up saying "Windows cannot find C:documents and settings/administrator/desktop/charlie/dů make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again". I am using Office 2007 and this happens with every document I open that is a word document. It does not happen with Excel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

"Windows cannot find C:documents and settings/administrator/desktop/charlie/dů

Can you please post the rest of that error message.
It might be important to know what the system is looking for
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

"Windows cannot find C:documents and settings/administrator/desktop/charlie.docx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then click search.

#4 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

anyone?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Try deleting the normal.dot file
See instructions here
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

I did as the instructions said and found one file that said normal. It didnt say normal.dot but I deleted in anyway. I still have it in my recycle bin in case I need to restore it. But it didnt help at all. I still have the same problem.

#7 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Also, I just discovered that I cannot print from microsoft word as well. I can print from excel or anything else but microsoft word doesnt even recognize the print command. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#8 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:08 AM

"Windows cannot find C:documents and settings/administrator/desktop/charlie.docx'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then click search.

The pathname seems rather strange. For starters it's all forward slashes and not backslashes and there is no backslash after the C: . I don't know how tolerant the various OSs are. URLs seems quite backslash-tolerant in browsers. Have you tried going to the file in Explorer, making a shortcut to the file and check Properties of the shortcut? That will tell you the exact proper file/pathname. Imo it should be C:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\charlie.docx .

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

The pathname seems rather strange. For starters it's all forward slashes and not backslashes and there is no backslash after the C: . I don't know how tolerant the various OSs are. URLs seems quite backslash-tolerant in browsers. Have you tried going to the file in Explorer, making a shortcut to the file and check Properties of the shortcut? That will tell you the exact proper file/pathname. Imo it should be C:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\charlie.docx .

I am not sure what you mean.

#10 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

I am not sure what you mean.

C:documents and settings/administrator/desktop/charlie.docx is not a valid filepath in Explorer
C:\documents and settings\administrator\desktop\charlie.docx is.

#11 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

Ok I understand what you are saying now. But. What can I do to correct this?

#12 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

I was commenting more to point out that the path seems messed up, assuming you did not make typos. If you are right-clicking in Explorer on the document name and it gives an impossible filename/path, it sounds like something is wrong with Windows.

You described opening the document (right-click already understood) but are you opening by double-clicking in Explorer or File/Open in Word? I get the impression you tried the latter so what happens if you double click on the filename in Explorer?

Do you get the same issue with older non-xml .doc files?

#13 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

what do you mean by double clicking in explorer? I am double clicking the document. You are right I did make a typo. I typed the slashes the wrong way.... I typed / instead of \

Edited by chugg, 03 January 2011 - 08:27 AM.

#14 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

The typos / versus \ clears up one issue, that it was treating .docx as some sort of URL. The docx extension is for the new Word format that started in Word 2007. The format is a version of xml, a relative of html used for web pages.

what do you mean by double clicking in explorer? I am double clicking the document.......

There are at least 4 regular ways to open a document:

Open the application then File/Open
Open the application then select from the recently opened list
Double-click in Explorer
Right-click in Explorer and Open With

If you look at your first post, all you say is that "When I open a microsoft office word document" - no method specified.

So my questions are:
Do you have the same issue when you try all the above methods?
Do you have the same issue opening regular .doc documents (saved in the word 97-2003 format or similar)

I also found a link describing a similar issue with .docx which is remarkably similar. I don't have Word 2007 so I can't try out what they suggest. The questions noted above will show if your issue is solely with .docx.

#15 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 627 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

Open the application then File/Open (This does work.)
Open the application then select from the recently opened list (this does work if the document is in there which sometimes isnt the case)
Double-click in Explorer (This does not work)
Right-click in Explorer and Open With (This does not work. It gives me the error message posted above)

Do you have the same issue opening regular .doc documents (saved in the word 97-2003 format or similar) (yes same problem)

I also found a link describing a similar issue with .docx which is remarkably similar. I don't have Word 2007 so I can't try out what they suggest. The questions noted above will show if your issue is solely with .docx. (None of this worked....)

Edited by chugg, 08 January 2011 - 01:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users