Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone tell me how to set up columns in MS Word, etc?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Shellybelle72

Shellybelle72

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="2"][color="#483d8b"]I have figured out how to set up the columns. I have the subject centered in the middle at the top and then after that there are two columns. However, I can't figure out how to get the curser over to the right columns. When I hit enter or tab, it just takes me to the next line below and on the left side of the screen.

Thanks.

Shelly-

EDIT: Merged two topics, same/similar issues ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 January 2011 - 10:01 AM.
Email address removed to protect the member from spambots

Shelly☮

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Hi Shelley & welcome to the forum!

What version of Word?

I have requested that this topic be moved to the Business Applications forum so that your topic can get the correct attention that you need.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Shellybelle72

Shellybelle72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

I have MS Word with a Windows XP computer.

Do I have to repost it there? Or is it now moved there already?

Thanks.

EDIT: I moved to Bus Apps ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2010 - 06:32 PM.

Shelly☮

#4 Shellybelle72

Shellybelle72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

I have figured out how to have the subject centered at the top and then after that have the page broken up into two columns. However, I still have to tab all the way down to the bottom of the page to trype in the right column. There has to be a better way. :P

This would be an example.

Vitamins Minerals

Sorry. I didn't want to take the time to put in examples in each but I'm sure you get the idea.

Thanks. :busy:
Shelly☮

#5 DM27

DM27

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Greetings Shellybelle72,

Would you be open to using the Table option instead? They offer more flexibility than the Column settings. If you have not worked with the Table features, below is a basic tutorial of how to use them.

Table Basics

Here is a Microsoft Training: Table I

What version of Word are you using?

Hope the above information helps.

Sincerely,

dm

#6 Shellybelle72

Shellybelle72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

All I know is that I have Windows XP and MS Word. If there is any other information I would need to give you, I would need to know where to look. LOL

Thanks. I will check out the table setting. But for now, I simply tabbed all the way down and then to the next column. I wanted to put them in the categories as they came to me, like writing up a list of pros and cons, dos and don'ts, etc. I have learned that the columns were pretty much designed for writing an article in which you did not want to have long sentences going across the entire page but you wanted to use a very small font, like in a newspaper. Now the document is doe and I'm happy with it. I will check out the tables for documents in the future.

Thanks. :thumbup2:

Shelly☮

#7 FrustratedCynical

FrustratedCynical

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="2"][color="#483d8b"]I have figured out how to set up the columns. I have the subject centered in the middle at the top and then after that there are two columns. However, I can't figure out how to get the curser over to the right columns. When I hit enter or tab, it just takes me to the next line below and on the left side of the screen.

Thanks.

Shelly-

Hi Shelly, :)

Are you attempting to make two "reading" columns--like in a newspaper or magazine article? Or are you trying to make a table with two columns and multiple rows for related entries?

F&C :idea:

Edited by rigel, 31 December 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

If you click on the help menu and go to the About Microsoft Word option it should tell you the version number.
It may also tell you on the splash screen when Word starts up

BTW I like your avatar!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:24 PM

Hi, Shellybelle:

Welcome to BC!

I believe, from your description here and in the other thread, that you'd be best off using a table, as suggested in that other thread. With a table, you can set as many rows (horizontal boxes), and columns (vertical boxes), as you need. From the description, I believe you'd only need one row and two columns. To give you clear instructions on how to do this, you'll need to let us know what version of MS Word you have. To find that information, click on "Help" at the top of your MS Word window, then click on "About." That will tell you which version you are using. Once we have that info, someone can help you with setting up a table in a Word document.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#10 Shellybelle72

Shellybelle72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

If you click on the help menu and go to the About Microsoft Word option it should tell you the version number.
It may also tell you on the splash screen when Word starts up

BTW I like your avatar!

Thanks. It's a Jim Warren painting. He has some really neat stuff. :) I will do that. Thanks. :clapping:
Shelly☮

#11 Shellybelle72

Shellybelle72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:48 PM

Thanks.

Shelly-

Hi Shelly, :)

Are you attempting to make two "reading" columns--like in a newspaper or magazine article? Or are you trying to make a table with two columns and multiple rows for related entries?

F&C :idea:

Well, the table would have been best. But I did it like columns for a newspaper and simply tabbed down and then to the next column and it worked out alright. But I wil check out the tables option for future use. Thanks.

Edited by rigel, 31 December 2010 - 07:13 PM.

Shelly☮

#12 Shellybelle72

Shellybelle72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

Hi, Shellybelle:

Welcome to BC!

I believe, from your description here and in the other thread, that you'd be best off using a table, as suggested in that other thread. With a table, you can set as many rows (horizontal boxes), and columns (vertical boxes), as you need. From the description, I believe you'd only need one row and two columns. To give you clear instructions on how to do this, you'll need to let us know what version of MS Word you have. To find that information, click on "Help" at the top of your MS Word window, then click on "About." That will tell you which version you are using. Once we have that info, someone can help you with setting up a table in a Word document.

Yeah, that does sound like the way to go. I didn't really check out the tables option when I was typing it up. Thanks for the suggestion.

And I like Carl Jung too. :)

Take care.

Shelly☮

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

I've not read a lot of Jung, but when I saw that quote, it just seemed to be SO appropriate for the internet... <_<

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#14 Adams A Plus

Adams A Plus

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well, the table would have been best. But I did it like columns for a newspaper and simply tabbed down and then to the next column and it worked out alright. But I wil check out the tables option for future use. Thanks.

To answer your question it depends on if you are using Word 2003 or earlier, or if you are using 2007/2010. I'm guessing you are using 2003/XP/2000/97. If so follow these instructions

Format
Columns

Decide how many columns you would like. Click on that and then hit OK.
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Net+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Windows Vista, MSITP: Enterprise Support
DCSE

#15 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

I have figured out how to have the subject centered at the top and then after that have the page broken up into two columns. However, I still have to tab all the way down to the bottom of the page to trype in the right column. There has to be a better way.

You can insert a column break to skip the remainder of that column and move onto the start of the next one. It all depends on what you want to do with the columns. If it is important that entries on one side match entries on the other you should indeed use a table, but if you just want the neatness of the formatting columns are easier to work with.

To insert a column break, follow these steps: (Credit to here.)

1. Position your cursor where you would like to insert the column break
2. Open the Page Layout ribbon
3. In the Page Setup section, click Breaks
4. From the dropdown menu, select column
5. Any text typed will begin in the next column. If there is already text following the cursor, it will be moved to the next column

Or press CTRL + SHIFT + Enter

Edited by JosiahK, 02 January 2011 - 11:32 AM.

Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users