Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Win 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 askolepaul

askolepaul

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

System info: OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PAUL-PC
System Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
System Model NZ017AA-ABA m9715f
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core Processor, 2300 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.13, 5/7/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name Paul-PC\askolepaul
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.91 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.2 GB

I have a legitimate Upgrade to Win 7 disk for my computer that is running Vista but cannot upgrade because there is an application called Microsoft Powertoys for Xp residing somewhere in the system. I can't locate any reference to it in the Add/Remove feature, nor in the Registry through Regedit, however whenever I try to perform the upgrade there always is a compatibility issue with it and the upgrade is aborted. Any suggestions as to how to find where this item is located and how to delete it, or them, from my system? I would appreciate whatever help I can get on this matter.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:41 PM

You might try the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor .

Louis

#3 askolepaul

askolepaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

The Upgrade advisor has been used and that's where I first learned of the Powertoys issue but, as I indicated before, I can not find any reference to them in the registry or in add and remove.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

What is the actual wording...of this message that leads you to believe that such is on your system, please?

Louis

#5 askolepaul

askolepaul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:25 AM

Here's the info from the compatibility report in total: Upgrading Windows will affect the following features:

Windows Mail is no longer included in Windows; however your e-mail files and settings will still be available after the upgrade. To send and receive e-mail you will need to install a new e-mail program. You can get e-mail programs from other software manufacturers or from the Microsoft website.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.
Printers: HP LaserJet 1100 (MS)
These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
Logitech QuickCam
Microsoft Powertoys for XP

I don't consider the HP printer or the Quickcam to be major problems because I can uninstall them quite easily but the Powertoys I can't find anywhere.
As a matter of note, tonight, after I cleaned and defraged my registery once again I attempted another install of the Win 7 upgrade, and once again, after almost three hours of letting the process run it's course the upgrade was aborted when it was almost completed, achieving 63% towards reinstalling devices and files. The only message that I get is that the upgrade was unsuccessful and my previous version of windows will now be reinstalled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users