Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to have two sound output devices?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 capnmaxx

capnmaxx

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

I have been playing internet radio from my computer speakers downstairs in my house and want to hear it upstairs but have no wired conndction. I bought a Sony Altus wireless transmitter/receiver system and it works fine to get the signal upstairs but in the process the soundcard audio outputs no longer play music. The Default Device for the audio output was taken over by the Sony device. I can switch it back to the soundcard, but that shuts off the Sony transmitter.

So, is there a way to send the audio output to the soundcard output and the USB-connected Sony transmitter at the same time? Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2010 - 03:41 PM.
Moved to External Hardware from XP forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Never tried it, but it seems that there are audio output splitters, just as there are for TV/video.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=17259,17311,18168,24472,27147&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=splitter+for+audio+output%3F&cp=26&pf=p&sclient=psy&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=splitter+for+audio+output%3F&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=7b989c6c17f79c85

Louis

#3 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

Thanks, but the problem isn't dealing with the audio signal when it leaves the computer but instead getting the audio out of the computer in two places at the same time.
That is, through the soundcard audio output AND the USB-connected wireless transmitter. The wireless transmitter only has a USB connector so I can't run an audio line to it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

I think that you would have to forego whatever transmitter you have now...and then you could use a splitter for wireless speakers. but that's just random speculation.

http://www.computing.net/answers/hardware/wireless-speaker-recommendation/20300.html

I guess that I would be concerned about the quality of the wireless speakers. Regular speakers have been developed for eons with audiophiles/enthusiasts in mind so they are built on basic, fairly standard technology. Not so with wireless, even reputable "old era" speaker manufacturers, IMO.

There are probably vendors selling what you want...you just have to determine how to use Google to find it...and then trust yourself to get what you anticipated.

I'll move this to External Hardware...someone may have much better ideas/experiences than I currently do :).

Louis

#5 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

You may be correct; I just hope that someone with a better knowledge of computer audio may tell me how to use this setup as it is.

The wireless that I have is just a transmitter and a receiver; the receiver feeds a line level signal to whatever system you want to use.

Thanks

#6 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

OK, here's the question: is there a way to have the sound from a computer come out of the soundcard audio connection as usual, AND a USB port at the same time?

Somebody has to know this; if its not possible to configure this, I need to return the transmitter/ receiver unit that I bought. No big deal, but I need to get going one way or the other.

Thanks in advanve

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

I think the only way that you could do that is to use an external(usb) sound card and an audio software package that can configure dual outputs.

#8 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

Do you mean an external sound card that has both regular audio (mini jack) AND a USB output? If I am to use the equipment I have now, I need both to operate simultaneously.
Thanks

#9 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

No, you would use the regular audio out from the external sound card to power your normal pc speakers and the other usb device stays connected to a different usb port on the pc.

#10 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

OK, if I understand properly, the computer will send the audio to two usb ports (with differend devices connected to them) simultaneously. But it will not send the audio signal to the internal soundcard and a usb simultaneously.

If this is correct I can get a cheap external usb soundcard.

#11 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

OK, if I understand properly, the computer will send the audio to two usb ports (with differend devices connected to them) simultaneously. But it will not send the audio signal to the internal soundcard and a usb simultaneously.

If this is correct I can get a cheap external usb soundcard.

#12 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

Yes, but note that I do not know for certain that that would work or if the correct software is even available, but in theory it should be doable that way.

Another option could be this, but it is not free:
http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
but they do have a trial version.

Really the easiest option I think, and the one that will certainly work, is as Hamluis suggested, go with a standard wiresless speaker system instead of the USB setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users