Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 network print with Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Noahjp

Noahjp

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:38 AM

I have successfully setup a print share between a Windows 7 x64 computer and a Windows XP sp2 computer. There is, however, an issue. The printer itself is a USB only HP 1022 and is connected to the Windows 7 computer. Both computers are then plugged into a gateway (router/modem). It seems that everytime I restart the Windows 7 computer, I lose the print share connection. I have devised a very simple remedy for this. On the Windows XP computer I must follow these three steps (it takes about 5 seconds).

1. Click Start,
2. Click Printers and Faxes
3. Hit F5 (refresh).

Initially when I open Printers and Faxes, there is an error message next to the HP 1022 saying that it is not accessable. After refreshing, the error message goes away and printing resumes as normal. It appears as though the Windows 7 computer is randomly assigning an address for the virtual USB port in a way that frustrates the Windows XP computer; refreshing is forcing the Windows XP computer to play nice with his little brother (laymen terms). My question is this, how can I get the Windows 7 computer to always assign the same address for the Virtual USB printer port, and if this is not the issue, then what's the deal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users