Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition PC/Dual boot? +

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Unperson

Unperson

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:12 AM

Hello

First time posting a technical question/issue.

Here are my comp basics:

Asus P5E WS Pro 4 GB RAM (w/+4GB ready to install)
Intel Quad Core 2.4GHz Processor
RAID (x2 Western Digital SATA drives) C:
2 each IDE hard drives (storage only) F:/G:
XP Pro

My PC is about 2.5 years old (custom build) and is still operating on the original format. I have been extremely careful about infections (running Nortons 360 AV). The computer is still more than adequate for my use (graphics, general). This is what I want to do, but I am not really that savvy with hardware upgrading/reformatting and such:

I would like to install Windows 7, but maintain the current boot of XP Pro without losing any data.

1. Can/how do I partition C: and install Windows 7 allowing to boot up to either OS?

2. I would also like to acquire and use a program that can restore a drive from a storage media (one use to be called Drive Image years ago). Essentially, I would like to be able to "save" a drive to an external source and "flash" it back if I should ever have any problems, without having to re-install all the software, updates, etc... Is this a possibility?

3. One concern I know nothing about is the RAID. There is a Marvell RAID monitor that runs in my system tray (System Information also says there is an Intel RAID monitor). I don't even know what it is for - is this a significant thing for reformatting/installing new OS?

Best regards and thanks for any guidance. I learned that I know just enough to get myself into trouble when I don't seek expert direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

You can use Partition Logic to add a second partition. There are instructions in the manual.

Acronis True Image is good software for maintaining a drive image.

My personal opinion is that RAID is really that much of an advantage in most home user computers.

Edited by dc3, 31 December 2010 - 12:36 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Unperson

Unperson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:39 AM

I agree about RAID now. At the time I (had a custom build) it was offered as an option for faster speed (hoping to be able to run MS FSX with all the rendering at max). Thanks much for the info, looking into it now. Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users