Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning PC from leftovers after MS Visual Basic 2010 uninstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

Hi.

I've recently tried out MS Visual Basic 2010 Express.

I've then decided to uninstall it. But, there are many leftover from this program.

It was installing alongside with 12 supportive applications, if not counting Silverlight.

Such software left (some removed): Microsoft Help Viewer 1.0, Microsoft .NET framework 4 Client Profile/Extended/Multi-Targeting Pack and upgraded version of Visual C++.

Tell me which apps I can remove safely... because I fear to remove some to not damage the PC. Example: clicking on uninstall Help Viewer says that some programs may run unstable after that.

Also, I wanna know if by installing Visual Basic 2010 I've accidently modified OS in any way.

Thanks a lot! :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

Hi -
You should at least install M/soft Basic Visual Basic Controls from Here to have most programs operate normally -
These other programs are usually add-ons after XP SP3 -
Microsoft Help Viewer 1.0, Microsoft .NET framework 4 Client Profile/Extended/Multi-Targeting Pack and upgraded version of Visual C++.I can see no use for these , unless you are doing some advanced programming works - You can uninstall them from Add / Remove , or use HiJack This if you have it installed - There is a M/soft.Net Framework 4 , but it is not the one that you have listed -

Thank You -

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:24 AM

noknojon,

Thank you for replying.

I've decided to keep Visual C++.

About .NET Framework 4 (3 items) - I can uninstall it without risk?

Main question of reply: Help Viewer 1.0 - when I try to uninstall it, it informs me that some programs might need it, and after uninstallation might work not so well.

Please help. :santa:

Edited by rhino1366, 31 December 2010 - 06:27 AM.

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

Main question of reply: Help Viewer 1.0 - when I try to uninstall it, it informs me that some programs might need it, and after uninstallation might work not so well.

The program that needs it is Visual Studio. You will get that warning when you try to uninstall a program that was installed as part of a package, even if you have already removed the rest of the package.

#5 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

Thnx. :santa:

#6 jaydeee

jaydeee

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

I think upgrading newer version wouild remove and clean old version.

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

You should at least install M/soft Basic Visual Basic Controls from Here to have most programs operate normally

Those are VB6 programmes noknojon they won't hurt anything it will allow you to run VB apps if you have any.

I have MS Visual Basic 2010 Express installed as well as VB6 you can uninstall Visual Basic 2010 Express from Add/Remove you can uninstall Silverlight as thats installed by VB 2010. You can leave the .Net updates as they won't hurt that much other apps may need them. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users