Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Lost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:09 AM

Gooday all. I put the hard drive out of wife's puter into and old one of mine because her on board video-card gave up. I was able to get it up and running no worries except the screen res was stick on 640 x 480. I got into the device management section and there were yellow alerts there on video driver and tried to reload the driver as per the trouble shooter. It advised that it was looking for a video controller, VGA compatible. This it was unable to find. It suggested uninstalling and re installing the drivers. I did this and turned the machine off as I had to do other stuff. Now when I start the machine it goes through the normal XP start up thingy with the little bars running through left to right but when it gets over that I end up with a blank black screen. Its a legit copy of XP Home and I have the disc. Is there any way to repair this. I have never bothered to find out the specs on this machine so there is not a lot I can tell you now as I cant get into properties to find out. Its around 7/8 yrs old and was running beautifully with the latest Ubuntu on it till I had to swap wifeys hard drive. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:05 AM

Hi mate -
How is the weather up there :ph34r: ,Still skindiving in the main street -

Not sure how far you have gone yet , but the 2 obvious things are sfc /scannow and check disk - You can use this code below for the check disk scan
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This will reboot your system in 30 seconds after you hit OK - Make sure all programs except the Run Box are closed first -
CheckDisk takes 30 to 45 mins to run all 5 stages, and you can try it in safe mode first - The same with System File Checker codes -

sfc /scannow is done in the same manner but place the CD in your computer first then copy paste scf /scannow into the Run Box and click OK -

Thank You -

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:39 AM

Wavemaker, if you are getting nothing but a black screen, it seems likely you won't be able to follow noknojon's suggestions. In any case, a Windows installation can seldom successfully be transplanted into a different system, so normally a Repair Install of Windows is necessary:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Note that XP will need to be updated again as required to bring the Service Pack and updates up to current - do this immediately to avoid vulnerabilities. Assuming the XP is currently at SP3 as it should be, it's best if the repair can be done using an XP setup disc already at SP3.

When the computer is operational, you can run a diagnostic to discover its specification, eg:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html

Then we'll be able to hunt down the appropriate drivers.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:05 AM

More on points made by Playtypus, Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html .

Louis

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

Thanks all for your replies. It has stopped raining today first dry day for a week. I have to get out and mow now, so this is on the back burner for a day or so. Thanks again for responses. It is one of the reasons that I love this site.
When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users