Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet brand new computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mcmanus

mcmanus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:41 AM

I have wireless internet service through verizon. I have 4GB USB Modem which is 4G capable, the computer is a Dell Inspiron it works well in all other areas but my internet connection is incredably SLOW.

Is there some thing i should be doing? Maybe a setting on the computer that should be on/off?

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

What's your signal levels? Run a speedtest at www.speedtest.net too.

#3 mcmanus

mcmanus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

0.35Mbps Download

0.02Mbps Upload

I think it's supposed to be 1.5Mbps and even more on the 4G. Something's definately wrong!

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

With cellular broadband CDMA 3G the max download is 3.1mbps. 4G is up to the provider, however cellular broadband performance depends on the tower load(ex: voice calls get priority over your mobile broadband), so if you're in a congested area your internet will slow down quite a bit in the evening. Also if the tower just has a single T1(alot of remote towers only have 1) the max speed you can ever hope to get is around 1-1.3mbps down, even at 4am.

What are your signal levels though? Mobile internet also isn't "plug and play" like they advertise. It takes some time to find the best place to put a modem, many recommend buying a 6-8foot USB extension cable and sticking it either up higher or in a window.

.35mbps is enough to experience decent web browsing on but not to download files at an acceptable speed. Try moving the modem around and see if you get better.

Overall the "MAX" speed you'll get depends on signal levels and how close to the tower you are.

#5 mcmanus

mcmanus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:52 AM

so my problem is that my signal is weak, where I am doesn't pick up a strong enough signal????? it makes sense when i look at the bars on VZ access manager i have almost nothing... ijust need to find a better place for the USB device????????????????????

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yes. The more bars = faster the service. If you're getting nothing then you should really consider a USB extension or Google around for ways to use external antennas.

#7 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

If it is your only connection that you have what I would do is buy a little cell phone booster. Verizon carries one called the Verizon Network Extender for around 250. You can pick one up at any authorized verizon reseller or online. It is a one time buy so there is no recurring charges.

Good Luck!

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

To test it, try taking the computer to a different location, preferably at least several miles from your current location, to somewhere where you get a better signal and see if your performance improves. If it does, then follow the other recommendations for ways to boost your signal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users