Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Server Would You Recommend?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jockaye

Jockaye

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

What requirements would a server need to have to be a content server for holding video files. The files aren't very big. Students at my college would be accessing them through Windows Media Services 9 (part of Server 2003). What sort of thing should I be considering before buying a server?

Thanks

G.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

If you are going to pump files out thru the school LAN you may want to contact your IS/IT dept. and see what they will allow. A pure file sever could run on any P-II/P-III for limited distibution. An Apachy sever wih XP Pro.
Your school may allow you system HD space and increased bandwith i you ask real nice.
I run a used HP Netsever LC3 dual P-III w\1 gb RAM with Windows NT4 sp6. I have 12+ computers on it at any given time. It only cost $150 and it's more than I need. If you get into streaming video it's a different game altogether.
Could you given a little more info on you system, number of people accessing per 24 hrs, How big the files in size, and will it be on an exsisting computer or will you install a new one?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Jockaye

Jockaye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I took your advice and spoke to the IT dept. I needed to anyway as I was going to stream video across their network after all!! They have suggested getting one of the Dell Dual Xeon rack mount thingys! It's got ample hard drive space and should be capable of doing the job without breaking sweat.

Thanks again,

G.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:28 AM

Excellent. I glad IT was understanding.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"