Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

belkin wireless adapter gets limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbednasek

bbednasek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

I just recently installed a belkin wireless usb adapter and netgear wireless-n router system in my mothers home. It was working fine but it was an unsecured network. My brother secured the network over the weekend and now the belkin sees the router but only shows limited or no connectivity. I spent 2 hours with belkin (at least someone representing belkin in asia somewhere). Finally he concluded that the ip address automatically assigned to the adapter is incorrect. I can't get a response from netgear about what to do.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2010 - 10:15 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Networking ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

I would try uninstalling the router completely...and then setting it up exactly according to any instructions that Netgear has relative to such. I would also uninstall the drivers for the Belkin device and then reinstall same.

The IP for your connection should be assigned automatically by DHCP...you might ensure that DHCP is enabled for your connection.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 December 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#3 bbednasek

bbednasek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Uninstall seems to be a bit of a puzzle. There is no uninstall option on the installation disk. No "Belkin wireless adapter" in add/remove programs. I can find the device driver in the device manager file however it won't completely uninstall the device (software still present). I even went to system restore and restored the computer to a time when it wasn't installed. I go through the installation process and get a bubble that says, "windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network". If I change my router's network authentication (as has been suggested by others) to a WPA option, the connection completely gets thrown off. It won't connect at all.

I've been on this for days. Real bummer!

#4 beed1216

beed1216

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

your going to have to reset it then go into the router and secure it yourself, your brother must of set something wrong in it. hold reset for 30 seconds to reset to factory default. you can also look and see if you have the option to use a pass phrase instead of a key

Edited by beed1216, 05 January 2011 - 08:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users