Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting a stubborn program icon from desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sway

Sway

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hi all,
I have this icon on my desktop created by the program HP File Sanitizer. It's a file shredder that came with my laptop. Whenever I've used it, it creates an icon on my desktop which is a shortcut to the program but has its own right click menu relevant to the program. "Remove icon" is an option on there, which used to work, but now it does nothing. There is no error message, just nothing happens at all. Highlighting the icon and pressing delete does nothing either.
Does anybody know how I can remove the icon? It's not crazy important, I just like to keep a clear desktop. :whistle:
I don't want to uninstall the program because it came on the laptop and I use it sometimes.
Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:58 AM

Where is the icon located? The desktop gathers together entries from two folders, C:\Users\Your Username\Desktop\ and C:\Users\All Users\Desktop\. Which does the icon appear in? Can you delete it after opening that folder?
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:33 AM

HP Does have a couple versions of the program available for download HERE & HERE.

An uninstall and fresh reinstall may fix the problem.

#4 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. I can't see it in either of those folders - I can't find "All Users" but there is a "Public" and a "Default" (besides my folder) and it's in neither of those.

Thanks for the link. I downloaded one of those and tried to uninstall it first but it appears as part of another program called HP ProtectTools Security Suite which came with the laptop and contains a bunch of other stuff besides the sanitizer. I guess I can download that here? http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3357377&swItem=ob-57507-1&prodNameId=3357378&swEnvOID=2104&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

I have a HP6735s, can anybody download it or will it recognise that I have a HP laptop and let me install it?

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Right-click on it, and choose Properties. Then check its location. Then delete it from that location. If usual delete does not work then use Unlocker.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

Edited by Romeo29, 29 December 2010 - 09:34 AM.

#6 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Unlocker didn't do anything to it, it didn't even give me the option to like with other files but it did recognise it on the desktop at least. :wacko:

#7 Sway

Sway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

OK problem solved! ThunderZ was right, I could just reinstall one for free. I didn't expect that as it had come with the laptop. Thanks all! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users