Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain program connection problems after trojan removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ozzie27

Ozzie27

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Let me start from the beginning:

I was infected with a trojan csrss.exe virus a day or so ago. I knew it the moment I clicked the link from Google that it was bad news. I immediately closed everything and ran MalwareBytes, which found two infected files, and attempted to remove it and restarted my computer. Everything seemed fine for a period of time, and then I realized I was getting Google redirects. And also, eventually my firefox browser lost it's connection and would tell me the proxy it was configured through wasn't available. I do not use a proxy on my computer, so I figured my virus was still hanging around. I rebooted in safe mode, and then ran MalwareBytes again. This time it found 8 infected files (still the same csrss.exe) and removed them and restarted. Since then my browsers have connected no problem.

However, now the problem is - other programs I try to run can't seem to connect to the internet. But some can. My skype has worked fine this whole time - but if I try to run a game that connects, it won't. I have since tried resetting my router, which didn't help. And then I downloaded and ran TDSSKiller using the tutorial here. It found one file in the System32 folder, sptd.sys, which I had the option of skipping, copying to quarantine, or deleting, and I just skipped because I wasn't sure to do.

I'm at a loss of what to do next, as certain programs of mine still can't connect to the internet. I appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grateful Gal

Grateful Gal

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

I have this same issue -- eager to read what replies you get.

In my case (posted as: "Suspected Rootkit Virus on WinXP SP3 is Serious" and sent here by Gringo since it wasn't solved) I can only use IE8, since Firefox and Chrome stopped "connecting" -- along with any other program that needs updating: MalwareBytes, Skype, Tweetdeck, Adobe -- you name it, the list keeps growing. But Gringo said it's not a virus/trojan/rootkit issue since MSE still updates, and I get the normal Microsoft updates. *sigh*

Good luck with getting answers -- and if you discover something in the meantime, please post, I'll be watching~!

Grateful Gal

PS: my sad story is over at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365958.html/page__view__getnewpost

#3 Ozzie27

Ozzie27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

I fixed it myself this morning! Finally figured out that the programs that weren't connecting, used the same ports as IE. (My firefox and a few other programs work just fine, but not IE, and a few others). Anyway, all I had to do was take off the proxy settings that the malware had changed on my IE. It's under Tools, it had set up some proxy settings that I don't use. I don't use any proxies. Just had to take it off and BAM everything works! Look into it.

#4 Grateful Gal

Grateful Gal

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

Good for you -- yeah, that's a fix I've seen as I've researched, but not my fix (bummer!) But congrats, and thanks for posting back, I'm sure you'll help others. Good going ~!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users