Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speakers - no sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 USN

USN

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

I have 2 Realtek AC97 speakers hooked up to my Desktop Compaq Presario using Windows. Speakers worked fine for 5 yrs up until I disconnected and reconnected. Now no sound. Connections are okay, volume settings are okay. I'm thinking I have a driver problem & that maybe I should uninstall, then reinstall using a Realtek AC97 driver execute file downloaded from Realtek for Windows XP. My system info shows I have driver version 5.10.0.5180. The driver download is WDM_A406.exe. Should I try this driver download ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

What Model of the Compaq Presario family is it please?

I would:

1)Check the speakers
2)Check the drivers Uninstall/Reinstall
3)Check sound-card re-move and re-seat
4)If these steps fail then your sound card is more than likely bad.

Let us know what type of Model is it to point you to the right drivers...
:busy:

Edited by JUICYboy, 28 December 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#3 USN

USN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:07 PM

THANKS JUICYBOY, IT'S A MODEL S4200NX..IF THE DRIVER UNINSTALL/REINSTALL FAILS, WHERE DO I FIND THE SOUND CARD ?

#4 USN

USN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

Well feeling quite the fool.....it was a connection problem after all...all okay now. Thanks

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

Okay know that I know the model here is a link to the page.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=338685&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=325362

Then before you download the drivers you will need to go to control panel to make sure there is no audio drivers.
Also check your device manager, under my computer.
Once you have taken out the drivers re-boot for safe measures and download and install audio drivers, for your operating system.
If there is more than one you will have to try all of them until you find "the shoe that fits".

If it does not fix your problem you can go to a electronics store or go here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D767GA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00000J579&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=086PWQC512PZ4H9QJVNH

Let me know how it went...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users