Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Doesn't Think I Have Enough Space

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Feonix

Feonix

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

My computer used to have Windows 7 x64 installed in it, but I reduced the partition size of it and installed Windows XP Professional x86 instead (earlier this year). Now, I am finally ready to make the move to x64 (I am a music producer, a lot of my programs only run on Windows XP 32-bit) but I have run into a bit of trouble. I've put my Windows 7 Ultimate installation DVD in my DVD drive and I've selected Custom Install. When I select the Unallocated Space as my target, Windows tells me that the "Setup was unable to use the existing system partition because it does not contain the required free space." Meanwhile I have 919.1GB of unallocated space!

My partition(s) are set-up as follows:

Disk 0 Partition 1: SYSTEM, 100.0MB Total Size, 5.0MB Free Space, Type: System
Disk 0 Unallocated Space, 919.1GB Total Size, 919.9GB Free Space, Type: (blank)
Disk 0 Partition 2: FACTORY_IMAGE, 12.3GB Total Size, 2.2GB Free Space, Type: Primary

I would appreciate any help guys. I now my installation works because I was able to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro without any problems (oh, the irony). If it helps, I have a UBCD4WIN disk on hand so I can always fire that up for any utility. Can anyone offer me some help? I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, have a happy New Year,

Thanks

Edited by Feonix, 28 December 2010 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:43 AM

Setup was unable to use the existing system partition because it does not contain the required free space.

My partition(s) are set-up as follows:

Disk 0 Partition 1: SYSTEM, 100.0MB Total Size, 5.0MB Free Space Type: System

As the setup indicates, the existing system partition is already full. Either delete its contents (eg by formatting it) or delete the partition, allowing setup to create a new one.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users