Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Free 2011 issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JT771

JT771

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

I 'upgraded' my old AVG Free to the AVG Free 2011 a month or so ago. It worked fine for a while but within the past week the exclamation point inside the yellow triangle keeps showing up and the associated Windows security alert shield. After start up I would get two pop up windows that said a dll file was missing and AVG couldn't operate. I tried uninstalling but it would not uninstall. The uninstall seemed successful but the AVG icon is still in the taskbar and I can open the program. I then tried to reinstall thinking that might fix the issue but that didn't work either. When I open AVG it says the anit-virus and anit-spyware "VDB check has failed" and the resident shield is not active (even though the resident shield box is checked under the Tools menu). Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hello,try using the free AppRemover utility to remove it, then reinstall it or another AV.

Using AppRemover
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 JT771

JT771
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:53 PM

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

You're welcome :thumbup2:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:32 AM

Have the same problem, but even after uninstalling with AppRemover, it still wouldn't allow me to reinstall AVG. Anyway to get AVG back, or do I need to install some other free anti-virus?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,928 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Anyway to get AVG back, or do I need to install some other free anti-virus?

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

With the release of AVG 2011, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read the related discussions at AVG:There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site has issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and recommends using other free alternatives.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one). I recommend any of the first three.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users