Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process Error - Death by a Thousand Papercuts!!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 blue4

blue4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

About a month ago my computer (Windows XP Professional SP3) was attacked by some malware (Security Suite 2011 or something like that) that locked all functions/programs and told me that any program I tried to open was infected with a virus. I thought I finally got rid of by running MBAM (in safe mode). It found some trojans, etc., removed them and I thought that was that. Not exactly.

Since then, I've been getting the "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close" error with increased frequency. Now, the following happens w/in 30-60 minutes of a fresh reboot. I first get the error, then my toolbars basically "blink"; I then lose internet connection capability, then my system volume goes, and finally the entire desktop and all programs lock up and I have to reboot. Sometimes I also get a svchost.exe error window that some memory cant be read. That svchost.exe error also posts in the error log of the Generic Host Process error. Additionally, I have no ability to download Windows updates (even when computer is not in Generic Host Process error mode and whether through IE or Firefox) and programs like Adobe are acting all crazy.

I constantly scan with MBAM, Spybot, Superantispyware and Webroot and everything comes back clean every time. My only guess is that the malware wasnt completely cleaned or that in the cleaning process my registry got all screwed up. PLEASED HELP!

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users