Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios CPU OC problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Perturabo

Perturabo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

So, I recently got myself a new Q9300 as an upgrade from my aging E6300. After installing, and some fiddling with the help of my dad, the Q9300 was running stable at 3.15 Ghz (420x7.5). Just a note, this is something both he and I have done many times.

Just today, after exiting a game, my Windows 7 32bit failed, and bluescreened. Upon restart, the overclock was no longer active (reset itself to factory 2.5 Ghz, 333x7.5). This has happened to me before, with the old processor, so I didn't think much of it. I reloaded bios, opened the saved OC profile, saved and exited.

Now, however, the CPU won't overclock properly, as if the Bios settings aren't being applied. When the computer restarts, the startup screen (and CPU-Z, when Windows loads), says the CPU is still running 2.5Ghz at 333x7.5. HOWEVER, when I get into Bios, all the proper OC settings are still in place; 420x7.5, memory settings, voltages, everything is as it should be.

As an experiment, I loaded failsafes, then downclocked the multiplier so it was running at 2.3Ghz, 333x7. That worked fine. So it appears as if I can no longer move the clock speed past factory default. After toggling the clock speed control option to and from DISABLED in the bios, it still won't accept any changes when the system restarts, even though the Bios is telling me it should be at 3.15ghz. I also shorted the reset pins on the motherboard, and reloaded the profile from there. Still no change.

I'm totally out of ideas here, help please!

I can provide exact Bios settings if necessary.

Edited by Perturabo, 28 December 2010 - 02:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

First off, what is the make and model of your motherboard?

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery and resetting the BIOS through the motherboard jumper?

When you are in your BIOS and making changes are you properly saving the changes to CMOS upon exit?

I want to add, some BIOS firmware has a built in safety feature, which resets the BIOS to defaults in thee event something goes wrong.

I have had this happen with my over-clocked CPU when the system detected an error, it simply reverts back to its default clock speed. Its just a matter of changing things back to the OC settings once the issue has been resolved and saving the changes.

If your system is reverting back to defaults, your either not saving the changes or your system is trying to tell you the setting is not supported or there is a system error somewhere. Such as one piece of hardware not playing nice with another.
This would be RAM voltages/clock speeds, CPU voltages or clock speed/multiplier settings, or your PSU is not supplying enough power to support the increased demand being put on it.

Now I think you said your BIOS is displaying the correct settings while your software your using in windows is not reflecting the same.
Have you tried using a different program such as 3dmark06 or Prime95?

Prime95 http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

3dMark06 http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/introduction/

Have you ever checked your motherboards BIOS firmware vendor for the list of newly released BIOS update firmware to see if there is an update that fixes a possible bug or adds newer support?

Bruce.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Perturabo

Perturabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. As I said in my first post, I reset the Bios using the jumpers, and it made no difference. I have the latest Bios firmware and latest drivers for everything on my computer. The stable OC settings were 'playing nice' for at least 3 days with all my new stuff, a week with just the new processor before I got my new vid card and PSU.

CPU-Z, CoreTemp, RealTemp, and Everest Ultimate (now Aida64 Extreme) all report the same (missing) changes. I'll attach the Everest report. Also, as I said in the first post, I downclocked the processor and it saved and accepted those changes, so the way in which I'm saving/exiting the Bios isn't the problem.

Attached Files

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

The stable OC settings were 'playing nice' for at least 3 days with all my new stuff, a week with just the new processor before I got my new vid card and PSU.

In reference to the part of your quote above, to which I have added bold to. Are you saying that when you added the new video card and PSU your problems with your OC settings started happening?

I see already what you have for video cards, I say cards, because I believe you have more than one video card installed. (If I am in error please correct me)

Can you please post the make and model number of your PSU, or at least post its output specifications in your next reply?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

That board really doesn't support that CPU. If it is a revision 3.3 board, it unofficially supports it with the F13 BIOS (you should already be running the F14 BIOS if the date is a clue).

Check your board revision (It will be silkscreened by the bottom slot, near the rear of the case). If it is a 3.3 we might be able to work it through. If it is a 1.0 or 2.0 board, you might have problems that can't be fixed to your satisfaction.

Edited by dpunisher, 28 December 2010 - 04:01 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Perturabo

Perturabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:08 PM

The stable OC settings were 'playing nice' for at least 3 days with all my new stuff, a week with just the new processor before I got my new vid card and PSU.

In reference to the part of your quote above, to which I have added bold to. Are you saying that when you added the new video card and PSU your problems with your OC settings started happening?

I see already what you have for video cards, I say cards, because I believe you have more than one video card installed. (If I am in error please correct me)

Can you please post the make and model number of your PSU, or at least post its output specifications in your next reply?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

What I mean is that I've done 2 recent upgrades. First, I got the Q9300 and nothing else. Overclocked it to a stable 3.15, and it was working fine for about 5 days. Then, I got the GTX 570 (only running 1 video card, not two) and a 630W PSU, 1 12v rail at 50A (Rosewill RG630-S12). Adding the new GPU and PSU did not cause problems. Everything has been running fine through setup, stress tests, benchmarks, and 2 days of gaming. The problems started after a Windows bluescreen, as I said in my first post.

My Gigabyte mobo is rev 2, F14 firmware. How do you mean the processor "isn't supported"?

#7 Perturabo

Perturabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:45 PM

Just to make sure, Everest/Aida64 doesn't interfere with Bios/CPU/GPU settings, right? As far as I know about it, it's only a report/survey/benchmark program. I'd hate for that to be the problem, as I have only started using it recently for its Logitech G15 support.

#8 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

One processor is .45 the other is .65. Also, one overclocks good the other doesn't. When processors are made they come off the same batch, wafer lets say, then to see what their stable speed is Intel does their thing and when one runs solid at X amount of hertz that's what they call it. So, you may at times get a processor, say yer old one, the e6300 and it overclocked fine. Well, sometimes, when you get a processor and its say yer new one, they at times will say it's stable at X amount of speed and already have it "unstressed" yet "stressed" if you follow. Anytime I overclock, and it's rare, I buy unlocked cpus and gpus. What I'm hoping to help ya by saying is, yer q9300 might have just made that spec from intel already "pushed." As you stated also, you have an unofficial support for .45 from Giga on that cpu. If you can, check out a newer board that was made for .45 support OC there and see if the bsod goes away. As you probably already have, have all yer hardware set up clean install from the get go. Also, since you had xp dual boot, i'd low level the drive. here's a good utility: http://www.dban.org/ dowload iso, burn to cdr nuke the drive clean then install
wouldn't download updates set that choose, then disable updates, another note, there's a lot of "tweaks" blackviper site, things you can do with software to gain performance instead hardware
good luck, lemme know ltdan
Elvis has left the buidling...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users