Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't detect hard drive, need to recover files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Andon48

Andon48

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:45 PM

My wife has had a Lenovo S10-2 Netbook for about 9 months. A couple of weeks ago it started randomly trying to delete programs on the computer, or send shortcuts to the recycle bin. I Scanned it with everything I could think of, and didn't find any viruses, malware, or rootkits. Today she said the mouse was moving really slow, and she got frustrated and hit the keyboard. The screen went black, and when you try to turn it on now you get the start windows normally or startup repair options. If you try start windows normally it goes to the loading windows screen with the progress bar and windows logo (W7 Starter) for about 2 minutes and then says windows failed to start. The repair option doesn't fix anything either or course. The computer hasn't been backed up for about 2 weeks andthe videos from our son's first Christmas are on the hard drive. I took the hard drive out, put it in my desktop as a second drive, just like I did before to back it up, and it goes to the loading windows screen (W7 ultimate X64) just like it did on her netbook, then it stays there for a few minutes until the screen just turns black. If I unplug the drive my computer starts fine. If I start my computer, then plug the drive in it doesn't detect it. Basically, if I have the drive connected when I start my computer I can't get into Windows, and if I connect it after I start it Windows won't detect it. I don't care about anything except getting the pictures and videos off of the drive, and I don't have the money right now for something like a data recovery service. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Note: I double checked to make sure it isn't trying to boot from her drive. It is a 160GB WD Caviar Blue (Sata II) and my mobo is an Asrock P55 Extreme if it makes a difference.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

First off, hard drives that are not USB drives are NOT hot-swappable.

You can NOT just connect a SATA drive to the SATA port while the system is up and running.
This can either damage the drive, your computer or both at the same time.

The drive in question may have been shorted out from whatever force was applied during your wifes frustration and hitting the keyboard.

When you connect this drive to your computer, are you booting up into the BIOS setup utility first and auto-detecting this hard drive?

You did not mention if you had performed this first.

If the drive is causing the system to shut down or act funny, there is a possibility there is an electrical short circuit on the drive. Although open circuits do not always cause system shut downs, there is a possibility the drive is exhibiting an open circuit which may have been caused by the shock of the laptop keyboard being slammed in anger and frustration.

If this is indeed the case, the drive would have to be repaired by replacing the controller board on the hard drive.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Andon48

Andon48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the info, I have never dabbled in hot swapping before. I know the bios is detecting the drive because I went to the boot menu and it showed my HDD, my flash drive, and my wife's HDD. I made sure that I selected my HDD to boot from, not hers. How much trouble is it to replace the board if that's the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users