Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad, Keyboard Suddenly Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ace_girl83

ace_girl83

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

I have an HP/Compaq laptop that is running basic Vista, and it was working fine earlier this morning. I left it and came back, and the shut down screen was up. When I tried to touch the touchpad, it made a horrible beeping sound, so I held down the power button to manually shut the computer down. When it restarted, I was unable to use the keyboard to type in my password and the touchpad still isn't moving. I don't know what to do. I can't log in to see the Control Panel and I can't get into Safe Mode because I can't use my arrow keys to select it. I can get as far as my log in screen and then I am stuck. Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:16 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please post the complete model number of your laptop?

Being that I do not know which laptop you have, I am going to suggest something that may not be possible, but I am going to ask anyway. Does your laptop have an external mouse port to which you can add a PS2 mouse to?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ace_girl83

ace_girl83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hi. My laptop is a Compaq Presario, model CQ60-4190WM. It is capable of supporting a USB mouse, and I have had one connected to it. My keyboard will allow me to type in my password only to take me to the desktop. After that, it doesn't work. Touchpad continues not to work at all.

Thanks.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

Have you tried reinstalling your drivers?

Here is a link to the support pages for your Compaq Presario, model CQ60-4190WM laptop.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=3966262&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Here is the drivers section, the forth one down the list is the driver you would need.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3966262

Please let me know if this driver fixes the problem.

Also another solution to try below.

TouchPad is not sensing finger movements

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01876141&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=2093&product=3966262&sw_lang=

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ace_girl83

ace_girl83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

I had already tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them, but it didn't work. What did work was doing a hard reset. For anybody reading this that is having the same trouble, to do a hard reset, unplug the power and remove the battery. Once all power is removed, hold down the power button for a full minute. This simple solution fixed my laptop, saving me no telling how much money. Thanks for your help, though.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thank you for posting back and letting us know your problem has been solved.

Also, thank you for supplying the information that resolved your problem.

Best regards and happy new year! :thumbsup:

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users