Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Repair cannot detect any hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pro-noob

Pro-noob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

Greetings!
A few days ago, while booting my laptop (Fujitsu Siemens, WinXP Pro, SP2) I recieved an error message, telling me "C:\windows\system32\config\system" was missing or corrupted. The first method I tried was booting in safe mode, but I got exactly the same error message. Then I tried to restore the system last known to function, again without any effect.
Then I tried to repair the whole thing with the Windows Install/Repair CD from the manufacturer. Initially everything seemed to work well, but when chooseing the partiton -1 for I have no partitions- (right after pressing "r") the whole thing crashes and I get a bluescreen with the message "BAD_POOL_CALLER" ***STOP:0x00000043,0xC4096000,0x00000000,0x00000000
After that I tried the xp_rec_con.iso (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic270018.html) this time, I got a new error-message; “Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer”.
Then, I read somewhere on the web about running MemTest to check the RAM. That's what I did, but even after 5 tests, MemTest86 had not found any error.
I'd be really thankful, if somebody could help me solve this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

I suggest you run the hard drive diagnostic tool available from your drive manufacturer.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

Please post the model of this laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Pro-noob

Pro-noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for the responses!
I don't happen to have such a CD but I'm downloading the System Diagnostics via the net. The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemes Amilo Pro V3505 Model MS2192

#5 Pro-noob

Pro-noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Well, System Diagnostics only tells me, that it cannot find the OS

#6 Pro-noob

Pro-noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

Thank you for the responses!
I don't happen to have such a CD but I'm downloading the System Diagnostics via the net. The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemes Amilo Pro V3505 Model MS2192

edit:
Well, System Diagnostics only tells me, that it cannot find the OS

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp. - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Louis

#8 Pro-noob

Pro-noob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp. - http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287#samsung

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Louis

Thank you! I'll try them out, but how will they assist me?

#9 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

They will let you know if your problem is caused by a failed or failing hard drive.

#10 CompXP64

CompXP64

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:56 AM

Had this same problem a few days ago- It wasn't the hdd (stuck it in another computer and could still read my files)

If it is a SATA HDD then Win XP most likely will NOT detect it! Why? Because SATA wasn't around when XP was first put on cd.

Try downloading your Motherboard's drivers for sata. When you boot into the XP install disc, hit F6 to load the drivers off the A: and that should allow the install CD to see the HDD.

If you don't have a floppy A:, you can slipstream your installation CD. You're gonna have to google this part, however, as I don't have the precise name of the program that I used to do it myself (nlite, I think?).

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

<<If it is a SATA HDD then Win XP most likely will NOT detect it! Why? Because SATA wasn't around when XP was first put on cd.>>

That might apply...if OP was attempting a clean install, using MS Genuine XP CD...that doesn't seem to be the case in this situation.

Additionally...if the drive came with the system...it obviously had to have SATA support enabled on the system.

Louis

#12 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

If it is a SATA HDD then Win XP most likely will NOT detect it! Why? Because SATA wasn't around when XP was first put on cd.

I could comment on this as I did but Louis removed it because it wasn't relevant.

Happy New Year. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#13 CompXP64

CompXP64

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:37 AM

That might apply...if OP was attempting a clean install, using MS Genuine XP CD...that doesn't seem to be the case in this situation.

Additionally...if the drive came with the system...it obviously had to have SATA support enabled on the system.

Louis

If You'll note, he does say he's using a windows installation CD....

Then I tried to repair the whole thing with the Windows Install/Repair CD from the manufacturer.

Just a possibility, since it happened to me while doing a REPAIR installation (not a clean install). The Windows install disc (that came with my computer) I have doesn't have driver support for my SATA HDD (that also came with my computer). Was hoping it could help.

Edited by CompXP64, 05 January 2011 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users