Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Copy/Cut then paste files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XCLR8

XCLR8

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

This problem has started happening about 2 weeks ago and I've given up on how to resolve this issue. Maybe you elites can tell me something I don't. As stated in the title; I cannot copy/cut a file and paste it at a different location. This also includes clicking and dragging a file to another location. Copying and pasting text WORDS still works, it's just files in general. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3. I have done a virus scan with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 found 2 viruses and deleted them, problem is still there. I've done a scan with Spybot and Malwarebytes and deleted everything it has found and the problem still persists. I've done a cookie cleaner scan for the registry and fixed any problem it has found. By the way, all scans and deletions have been done in safe mode and rebooted after (except cookie cleaner). What I have found out is that in Safe Mode I am able to cut/copy then paste (or click and drag) normally. So I am still thinking it's either a virus that Kaspersky hasn't picked up or malware. If you have another idea on how to fix this annoyance, much will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Microsoft support suggests it could be a problem with Internet Explorer.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309662

#3 XCLR8

XCLR8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

Internet Explorer!? That's the last thing I would of thought that could have caused this problem. Thanks a lot for the link. I will try it when I get home tonight. :thumbup2:

#4 XCLR8

XCLR8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

Caperdog thanks for the link, but unfortunately this DIY is for the millenium version. I am running XP Pro SP3. I am still looking around the microsoft site now to see if I can find anything there.

#5 skoop

skoop

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

Check Out this: Open Internet Options.Click on Security, click on Custom Level,scroll down to Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste. Check to see if its enabled.
Do not know if this is your problem but it is worth checking

#6 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

This may sound silly, but what are you trying to paste from Word into?
It looks as though some add-onds may mess with it in browsers.
Try running IE without add-ons if that is the case and see what happens. If it works then you can disable add-ons until you find the culprit.

#7 XCLR8

XCLR8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Check Out this: Open Internet Options.Click on Security, click on Custom Level,scroll down to Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste. Check to see if its enabled.
Do not know if this is your problem but it is worth checking

I wish I read this before I reformatted my pc last night. :\ I bet that was the problem. Anyways, thank you very much. In case this happens again I'll be sure to look through the internet security options. :thumbup2:

This may sound silly, but what are you trying to paste from Word into?
It looks as though some add-onds may mess with it in browsers.
Try running IE without add-ons if that is the case and see what happens. If it works then you can disable add-ons until you find the culprit.

I never said I was using Word or any other typing program. I said I could not copy/cut files to paste in a different location, or click and drag for that matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users