Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious error every other start-up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TAB4

TAB4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:34 AM

I am running Windows XP. Just before Christmas I installed software for a kid's camera (Vivitar's Freelance 2.1 MP) and then for a Gigaware Digital Photo Keychain. (I don't think the camera install caused problems but am mentioning it just in case.) Once the keychain was charged, it had me reboot to finish installing software. (Note: The reboot was not mentioned in the instruction book. It gave me the impression that all the necessary software was kept on the keychain). After the reboot, plugging in the keychain resulted in a serious error where I had to reboot. This happened two more times. After finding out that the store would only give me store credit, I tried it one more time. This time the keychain worked (the computer didn't stop working and cite a serious error as the reason). I thought all was well. I turned the computer off for the holidays. Yesterday I turned it on. It started up with a serious error, telling me to reboot. It indicated that this is not serious if I have not seen the message before. Of course I have seen it before, but I rebooted. All is working fine on this boot. However, now I'm worried about what is going on. I thought I would uninstall whatever the keychain installed but it's not clear in the "Add or Remove Programs" box what was installed. The program "ffdshow [rev2527]" may have been, but I'm not sure. (It could have come with the camera.) I tried to search on the internet as to what this keychain installed, but I'm not getting anywhere there either. I'm considering going back to a restore point, but before I do so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any thoughts.

I use McAfee. I also have Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Malwarebytes.

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mooseby

Mooseby

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:09 AM

Well, often when you plug in a USB device the machine will ask you if you want to restart after it 'installs' it, was it the 'New Device' window that came up?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

I would go with the System Restore, this would at least delete whatever was loaded on your computer.

It's possible that there was a glitch with the loading of the software that came with the camera. Did the software come bundled on the camera or on a CD?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

I would go with the System Restore, this would at least delete whatever was loaded on your computer.

It's possible that there was a glitch with the loading of the software that came with the camera. Did the software come bundled on the camera or on a CD?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TAB4

TAB4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

dc3 - The software for the camera came on a CD. I didn't have problems though until I hooked up the Gigaware digital photo keychain. When you say glitch, any chance that means I can try the camera and keychain again after I restore and there might not be a problem? (This time I would install them further apart so I can be sure which is causing the problem if the problem occurs again.)

Mooseby - I can't remember if the New Device window came up for the keychain. (I did it last Wednesday.) I just remember thinking it was odd that I was told to reboot when the keychain directions didn't mention that at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users