Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home sfc /scannow won't run from passworded account?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Schwarz

Phil Schwarz

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:32 AM

Hi --

We have the computers on our home network (all of them WinXP Home SP3) set up to implement "poor man's disaster recovery": all of our machines are set up so that the default directory for data files for applications critical to work and school (eg, Word, Excel, Powerpoint docs) is each user's home directory on a single machine -- and that machine runs 2 scheduled tasks (at 4 am and 5 am respectively) to copy any changes in those directories to a backup copy on each of 2 other machines. Short of a disaster that destroys all of the machines simultaneously, that gives us reasonable and inexpensive recovery from inevitable disk crashes.

The scheduled tasks that do the copying run as one of the users on the main machine (a user account present on the backup machines as well). WinXP Home seems to require that that user account have a nonblank password (on the main machine) in order to run scheduled tasks.

I notice that I am unable to run sfc /scannow as that user, even though that user is an administrator.
I get the message:
You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the Windo
ws File Checker utility.

I *am* able to run sfc /scannow as another user that is an administrator, but does not have a nonblank password.

Any idea why this is so? What's going on here?

TIA
-- Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hi -
Just a quick observation , do you insert the XP CD when you try to run the System File Checker as you do not mention this -

Thank You -

#3 Phil Schwarz

Phil Schwarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

The behavior I describe happens regardless of whether the XP Home CD is in the drive or not.
The error message is output before sfc ever even looks at the CD drive.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

Have you tried creating a new user account (with password) and seeing if it can run sfc /scannow?

If so, it could be a corrupt profile issue.

Louis

#5 Phil Schwarz

Phil Schwarz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

Have you tried creating a new user account (with password) and seeing if it can run sfc /scannow?
If so, it could be a corrupt profile issue.

Good suggestion -- thanks!
I tried that, and it can.
So the problem appears to be with this specific profile.

Any idea how to discover what exactly is damaged, or how it was damaged?
How can I fix it?
Is there a way to check and repair a corrupt profile?
Is there an automated way to transfer the contents/settings of the existing profile to a new profile?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

Hi -
Now that you have run sfc on the other account , will it run on the first account you attempted to run it -
The next item can be a check disk scan to see if there are general errors that can be repaired -Copy and paste the code below into Run Box and it will do the full 5 stage disk check and try to repair any faults it can find -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Close all open programs and the code will automatically reboot 30 seconds after you press OK - It will take (on average) 30 to 45 mins to run , so do not try to stop it once started -
Thank You -

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

AFAIK, you don't repair damaged profiles...just create a new one and move the settings/files per MS guidance...then delete the old.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users