Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Crashes After First Boot-up Of The Day

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Futurelife

Futurelife

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:43 AM

Hi,
This problem started in September 2005.
When I first boot up my PC in the morning, it crashes after a few minutes - 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes the display would just freeze, sometimes there would be a blue screen fatal exception OE, usually in VXD VMM. The only option then would be to press the reset button and go through Scandisk. After this the PC would be OK for the rest of the day.
With help from the HJT team I tried all sorts of scans for viruses and malware but turned up nothing.
Then, in November the PC crashed as usual, but on pressing reset it would not boot up at all - a whole lot of files that were needed to run windows were listed as missing. I did some investigation from the command prompt and discovered that the Windows directory and all its sub-directories had been wiped out all except for 3 files.
After a long time (about 2 weeks!) reinstalling Windows on an old HDD and retrieving stuff off my crashed drive, I thought I would try hardware troubleshooting. I tuned everything up using the PC Pitstop website. I replaced both the primary & secondary IDE cables. I downloaded Motherboard Monitor 5 to check the CPU temperature and found it was running at about 107 degrees F, higher than the manufacturer's recommendation of 95F. I cleaned out the PC with compressed air, installed a case exhaust fan, re-bedded the heat sink on new thermal paste, refitted my HDDs in 5.25" bays to give more airspace around them, and put a vent in the front 5.25" bay. It has made no difference. In fact, as I write this the CPU is running at 109F. The PC still crashes after the first boot-up of the day, but after a little longer now, say 15-20 minutes.
Is temperature likely to be the cause of the problem? If it is temperature, why would the PC crash after a boot-up from cold but not when restarted after a few minute's shutdown? Could the CPU have been damaged?
The other suspect is the graphics card, but I haven't checked this out yet.
Help!
Here's the spec for the PC:

Jetway V266A motherboard.
AMD Athlon 1.33 GHz CPU.
512Mb PC2100 DDR SDRAM (new).
Primary master HDD: Maxtor Diamond Max 7200 80GB.
Primary slave HDD: Maxtor Diamond Max 7200 120GB (new).
NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 Graphics card, with relatively new fan.
Creative SoundBlaster Live! sound card.
Connected to Broadband via D-Link router modem.
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Thanks,
Mark-T

Edited by Futurelife, 07 December 2005 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

107 F isn't all that hot, although you might consider a bit of Arctic Silver between the processor and heat sink (along with checking the fan for operation).

You answered your own question about the heat - Why would it do it cold, when it doesn't do it hot? - It's probably not a heat issue.

While I'm not all that familiar with errors in Win98SE - the fatal exception error could help us to locate what's causing this. Could you provide the exact text of the error message?

Generally what fixes problems of this sort (most times) is an update of the motherboard drivers and an update of the video drivers. I'd guesstimate that this has about a 50% chance of helping you out - as long as you completely remove the video drivers with a driver removal tool before installing the new video drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:01 AM

Dear Future,

I would like to add my 2 cents, if you don't mind.

Did you build your computer and did you add anything in September?

This really sounds like a power supply problem.

What is the current power supply you have and wattage?

You should have at least a 500watt especially with those hard drives you have.

Let me explain. Your hard drives are moving so fast you need lots of power. If your hard drives suck all the power at one instance, everything else in your computer will suffer. This is why your computer is locking up.

Your Ram should be getting hot as well as the CPU.

Get a new Antec 550watt or Thermalright 600watt. Your temperatures will go down and your computer will be faster then you have seen yet.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

I believe also it maybe power related. It sound like a weak capacitor, or transformer. What are your output readings., on your power supply?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Futurelife

Futurelife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for the tips on the power supply. I replaced the power supply in September 2004, and it's a 400 Watt, but I added the 120GB drive in August this year, so this combination could be the problem. I'll get a new power supply.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:40 AM

Hold up. Do you have access to another PS? Try that first if possible. If its not the problem if could still be a power supply. The power supply onboard that feeds the processor. Even a small PS (at least 350w thought) could hold together long enough to test the theory.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:29 PM

Dear Future,

I would get the most wattage you can get. Dual 7200 speed hard drives? Wow!

I agree with acklan on the try before you buy.

If you plan to play any graphic demanding games then you need a 550 watt or better.

This was told to me by ATI and ASUS when I was getting white screens/shutdown during game play.

I got the Antec 550 watt and I could play the game (Doom 3) no problem but my computer was getting real hot and my 12vdc line was 13.8 vdc. Wouldn't you know it, I bought a bad new power supply. Antec was real cool about it and replaced it immediately.

Now all is good.

Let us know if it is a power issue and fixed?

Thanks,

P.S. Don't throw away the old power supply. You can clean it up and sell it on EBay or keep it for your next computer...maybe a burner computer.
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 Futurelife

Futurelife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:21 AM

Hi,
I put in a new 550 Watt power supply on Dec 10. All that day I had no problems. This morning (monday 12 Dec) the problem is back. About 5 minutes after boot-up I got the blue screen "A fatal exception OE has occured at 0028:0C0005257 in VXD VMM (01) + 00004257. The current application will be terminated". After pressing enter the same message came up again. After pressing enter again the desktop came back but without a cursor. I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL and the cursor came back. Checking the list of running programs I noted that the application that had been terminated was Avgcc - the AVG Antivirus Control Centre - so I'm now wondering if I've got a software problem. The PC worked OK then for a couple of minutes and then all the icons & buttons stopped working, although the cursor still moved about. I pressed CTRL-ALT-DEL once and the PC rebooted without running Scandisk.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:38 AM

Try and run AVG from dos. Here is a link with instruction.. http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,40796,sv=

#10 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:33 AM

Dear Mark,

The computer worked all day on the 10th?

What did you do and where did you go on that day?

I agree with Acklan, this now sounds like an virus, but you are running WIN 98.

With broadband you need a firewall. Do you have one?

It really seems odd that your computer worked all day then on the next it doesn't.

Are there any loose connections? Did you end up reseating your Vid card? A dozen things are coming to mind and none good.

Let me tell you my current problem and maybe it might be close. I bought a Shuttle mother board about two years ago and installed it in my future super gamer computer. At first I had wierd heating problems and video errors.

I replaced the power supply and all worked. I still had high heating problems. So I called the video card manufacture (ASUS) for help. Of course they said I should have the mother board they tested the video card in. At the time I was hooked on Doom 3 and I had this $600 video card staring at me. So I got the ASUS mother board and have not looked back since.

So now I have this Shuttle board among others and I build a steadfast burner computer. At first, I put in a generic mother board and everything was great! Then I look at the Shuttle board. It was faster and more upgradeable.

So I changed the working system to the Shuttle board and had errors ever since. First I lost my serial mouse port, then I lost the parallel ports on start up. I figured out by unpluging the mouse and repluging it in it came back. But that sucks. Now I have lost hard drives on start up, it doesn't even see the hard drives in the BIOS.

I have to reset CMOS just to boot up the computer! I got a new ASUS mother board from Newegg that costs $52 and has better abilities. I am going to take my Glock to this Shuttle board! The reason I told you this, we all have problems and most are close to each other.

I am truly sorry the power supply didn't fix your problem, it fixed mine several times.

Thanks,

Your Hardware Guide.

#11 Futurelife

Futurelife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

Hi Acklan.
I ran an AVG scan on all my drives from the command prompt and no viruses were found.
I installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA for my graphics card - I won't know if this has worked until I boot up after a long shutdown... I'll add the result to this post when I have an answer.

It seems very strange that the problem only occurs when I boot up after a long shutdown, but not if the PC is booted up after a short shutdown.

#12 Futurelife

Futurelife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:54 AM

Narrowed it down to a problem with AVG anti virus. I installed the new update of AVG, which removed the old version, and so far the problem has gone away. Thanks for everyone's help.

#13 Futurelife

Futurelife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:44 AM

Sorry! Monday morning and the problem's back again!
Explorer crashed a couple of minutes after boot-up with an invalid page fault, followed immediately by a blue screen Fatal exception 0E, then a blank black screen, follwing which I had to press reset and the PC booted up and ran Scandisk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users