Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ink Jet Where Cartridges Don't Dry Out??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kjm782

kjm782

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I am in the market for a new printer. I know the basics about them but that is about it. In the past I have had problems where ink cartridges have dried out (especially color) and I've really only gotten a few pages out of them. I only print things a couple times per month (and only a few pages each time) and most of the time it is in black and white. I was in Office Depot and the salesman told me that the HP Officejet 8500a has a special ink system that prevents the cartridges from drying out. I've searched internet and I can't find anywhere to verify this. Has anyone heard of this before? Can anyone recommend a printer that would be ideal for an infrequent user? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

Hello Kjm782

I would like to see where the salesman got his information. I have sold printers for over 4 years and the only printers that I
can see will not have a drying issue would be the toner laser jet printers.

You see Laser printers use a toner that is full of dust like particles, that is why it never dries out.

But ink jet printers have a liquid inside the cartridge, so I can't see how it can not dry out eventually.

There is also laser color printers that are very good and can print quite a few 100 pages.

Good-luck

#3 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:13 AM

Hi kjm782,

I just want to throw my two cents worth in here.
I saw your post last night and dug and dug about ink not drying out. (came up empty handed).
I was glad to hear what JUICYboy posted on the Laser printer.

You will find the quantity/volume of ink in a cartridge is not readily posted.
Many ink comes in .05ml
If you are paying fifteen bucks per cartridge then it works out to an astronomical amount per gallon.. like a grand :crazy:
Some cartridges are .10ml - same cartridge just double the ink..go figure

my take...
Ink dries out and costs alot.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

I agree with both, ink will dry out no matter what.
Sounds to me like the sales person works on commission

I would consider a laser printer as Juicyboy suggested.
They are a little more expensive but are cheaper to operate in the long run

Years ago I used to have a black only laser printer. It ran for well over 10 years with 45,000 sheets put through it.
It had a counter on it so I know that. I could get 5,000 sheets out of one toner cartridge

Might be something to look into.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:50 PM

G'day...I reckon i can throw in 5 cents worth here !........i use my printer every day, without exception. I HATE, with a vengeance, having to change cartridges,....and i absolutely have a problem with the COST of minuscule amounts of Ink.......if you were to extrapolate the cost per ml, to the cost per litre.....it is the most expensive substance on earth !
Anyway....enough of my rant !
I use an EPSON T50 printer.....with a CISS ......[continuous ink supply system].
The printer cost approx $180 (Australian dollars)
The CISS cost $140......(http://www.rihac.com.au/)
I have had the ciss for 19 months.
The original ink is still going
I bought a bottle of black ink from them as well....(just in case) and have used it once to top up....i still have more than half the bottle left
SO....a little more expense...but NO HASSLES.
Thats my 5 Cents worth...
Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users