Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a good time to upgrade to Win 7?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alpadilla

alpadilla

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

I've been dedicated to XP for years now and am still hesitant to advance. I just wondered if all the bugs have been worked out, what everyone thinks.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:08 PM

I used XP for many years but installed Win 7 about a year and a half ago and have never regretted it. Nowadays I feel deprived when I have to go back and use a machine with XP.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:19 AM

After the whole Vista fiasco, I too was VERY hesitant to move to Windows 7. I absolutely HATE Vista!!!! I was forced to buy it when I had to replace a laptop the same month it was released and P__ Off that Microsoft wouldn't allow retailers to sell computers with XP anymore. I clearly remember all the Mac commercials making fun of Vista!! They were all SO true!!!! I hated Vista so much that I downgraded it to XP. When I bought my current desktop, I had to buy it online in order to get one that would run XP.

I'd never heard anything bad about Windows 7. I asked around about it and everyone told me that they were very pleased with it. I made the decision to upgrade knowing I could always put XP back on my computer if I didn't like Windows 7. The fact that I was eligible to buy Windows 7 for $15 dollars at the university I'm attending was also a big incentive!! :) I have never regretted it. It is much, MUCH faster than XP and it doesn't get hung up like Vista often does. Some of the old XP programs aren't compatible with 7, but you can download XP mode, a virtual computer, from Microsoft that you can run straight from the Win 7 desktop.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/windows-xp-mode.aspx

If you do this, make sure you have virus protection installed as a separate instance on the virtual machine as well! Or, disable access to the internet by the virtual machine. Using the virtual machine is like having a completely separate computer. It is NOT protected by the virus protection installed in Windows 7.

Make sure your system is compatible with Windows 7 by downloading the Upgrade Adviser.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Upgrading from XP requires a custom installation. It's really not difficult. Follow this link for for a video that will walk you through it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#4 Jrodextreme

Jrodextreme

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Windows 7 also has the capabilities to run programs in compatibility mode for Vista, XP, and 2000. It allow you to test the settings and if the program runs properly, you can save the settings so that the program will always run in the compatible mode.

Windows 7 will automatically find drivers for your hardware and can update the drivers appropriately. I would most certaintly make the switch. Be sure to research the different Windows 7 OS versions (Starter, , Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) Here is an informative link from Microsoft: Windows 7

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users