Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Dell computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RESISTtheURGE

RESISTtheURGE

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hello all, I'm newer to RAM and things like that and wanted to know before I buy if these sticks of ram will run in my Dell DImension 4700. I was hoping someone knew the specs of the stock motherboard and such because I have no idea what it is. THanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Tracer-2GB-DDR2-SDRAM-Memory-Modul-/380295354496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588b5e9880#ht_3436wt_905

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330511203132&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2538wt_1139

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Follow the instructions here so we can help you better: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html

Are you lookng to add RAM or just replace it?

According to google, the Dell Dimension 4700 has DDR2 RAM at 400 MHz. Both links you posted have DDR2 RAM at faster speeds, so while you can add both of them, I believe, they'll still run at the slower speed unless you take out the older RAM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Take a look at this Crucial site.

There are four expansion slots. Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.

Edited by dc3, 27 December 2010 - 08:47 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 RESISTtheURGE

RESISTtheURGE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

I will be looking to replace the two 512mb sticks of ram in my computer and add one 2bg stick and a 1gb stick. Sadly right now I'm trying to figure out a internet problem on my computer in another post and cannot access the internet on the computer in question =(

#5 RESISTtheURGE

RESISTtheURGE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:45 PM

Wow dc3 that post was great, Answered all my questions and even showed me compatible ram in the version i wanted =D. So if I buy a kit of 2x1gb ram and install it in the slots my current ram sticks are in, will that speed up my computer exponentially to play games like World or Warcraft and Call of Duty (saying I have a good video card)? Or will I still need an extra gb or ram? Also, If I wanted an extra gb of ram would I just put it in one of the non occupied slots? Sorry for all the questions XD

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

One of the consideration that you should look at is that your computer is capable of running the RAM in dual channel. Yes, this will make a very noticeable difference in your performance. But RAM is only one of the components needed in a good gaming machine.

Dual channel is a function of the motherboard, not the RAM. It's used to combine the RAM's throughput so that it will keep pace with the CPU's bandwidth. Purchasing a matched pair as you have indicated is the best way to go for dual channel operation.

Here is a short explanation of what dual channel is, and how it works.

Dual channel is a function of the motherboard, not the RAM. It's used to combine the RAM's throughput so that it will keep pace with the CPU's bandwidth.

For example...a P4 running at 200MHz (800FSB) has a bandwidth of 6400MB/s. PC3200 RAM running at 200MHz (DDR400) in single channel mode has a throughput of 3200MB/s...if a 2nd matching stick is added & dual channel mode kicks in, the two throughputs are combined, creating a max throughput of 6400MB/s (3200 x 2). Therefore, your CPU's bandwidth & RAM's throughput are in balance.

Hope this helps you understand.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

I would like to add just a little more information.

Computers of this generation are usually 32-bit operating systems. The point of this is that because the address space is only 4GB and includes other items which use this space as well as the RAM, the computer will usually wind up only being able to recognize a maximum of about 3.5GB of RAM. So the realistic figure to shoot for here is 3GB of RAM. You can add another pair of 512MB modules to get that figure, but they would need to match the specs of the other two modules. I'm sure that which ever manufacturer you make your purchase from will be willing to assist you in purchasing the proper modules. I have had great success with Crucial, so I'm a little biased toward them.

If you do go this route, you will need to consult the user's manual for populating the RAM. Some motherboards want the smaller modules in specific slots.

#8 RESISTtheURGE

RESISTtheURGE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

This sounds great, thanks a lot guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users