Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Configuration and XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RESISTtheURGE

RESISTtheURGE

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hello all,

I own a 2004 Dell Dimension desktop. It's been down for a few years since I now own a newer laptop, but recently I decided to bring it back to life. I've gone through many upgrades and problem so far, but come out on top each time. My most recent problem, however, is my wireless network. I just reinstalled xp, on a new hard drive actually, and this installation was done through the discs that came with the computer. When I started the computer up everything went well, everything looked great except for my internet. I still have not been able to get my internet to work. I've done many many things to try, exploring network settings, the network wizard and such things. Under my network connection I see no icons or networks showing up, and when I try to set up a new connection it says it does not detect the hardware (I don't remember exactly under what this is). I've posted about it before, but any simple explanation people have given hasn't fixed or worked so far. Until a few minutes ago, I thought it was my network adaptor, which is an internal adaptor. A spark just went off in my head though, it can't be my adaptor because I have ubuntu installed on my external hard drive, running through this computer, and the internet connects automatically to my house network through that. Another large this I've seen is under device manager, I don't see anything about my network card there or adaptor. I see under other devices tab to things to click on that both say ethernet connection (or something like that). I think this is all I've done so far, I've tried to be as thorough as possible but I will be continuously checking this to see if anyone has an answer. Thanks much guys hope we can figure this out!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I think that you do not have the network and wireless drivers installed as they are showing up in other drivices.
Ubuntu may be loading some built in drivers and that may be why you have Internet access through it.

Please post the model number of your laptop so that we can link you to the correct drivers on the Dell website.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Another large this I've seen is under device manager, I don't see anything about my network card there or adaptor. I see under other devices tab to things to click on that both say ethernet connection (or something like that).

Hi -
I take it that you have gone to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager - This list should contain all recognised items that are installed -
Reading from mine it has Computer, Disk Drives, Display Adapters, DVD/CD-ROM Drives, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Keyboards, Mouse, Modems, Moniters, The next item that should be listed on your Device Manager is Network Adapters - If this item is not listed then your system is not recognising your Adapter Card -
If this item is listed then click the + next to it, if it has one, and see if there is a ! or other symbol next to it -
This now means you have faulty/outdated/unrecognised drivers for your card - If you cannot get/update drivers , then replace the card as it may be faulty -

Thank You -

#4 RESISTtheURGE

RESISTtheURGE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Hello,

Yeah when I checked my device manager I have display adaptors missing and network adaptors missing. But if it works on Ubuntu shouldn't there be some other reason why it isn't recognizing it? Also, I am running a Dell Dimension desktop, is that what you want to know the drivers for? Its a dimension 4700 made in 2004. And also, since I can't access that from the computer with the problem, can I just install those drivers onto a disc and install the disc? Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:29 AM

You can use a different system...or any system that provides access to the website for your Dimension 4700...download the drivers and burn them to CD...and then install them from your Windows install.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=DIM_P4_4700

If your connection is wireless, get the wireless drivers. If not, then the Recommended Intel drivers, if you are using the onboard networking function.

If you are using a 3d-party NIC, then get the drivers from the appropriate website.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users