Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reg Supreme? Register Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:43 AM

I have been using Reg Supreme from Macecraft in the normal mode as I am not a experienced user, I know that after I uninstall a program that there maybe remnants that need to be gotten rid of and so I use Reg Supreme.
However the proggy does not appear to do a total job as demonstrated to me by my office techie. There continue to be leftovers that I thought that I had gotten rid of.

I have read some articles on Registry Mechanic and see that it has the backup option after "fix" like Reg Supreme which I definitely would need. What I was wondering is if it can be used in a normal mode??? Is there one ??? Or only Deep which is for the experts??? I am wanting a quality program that can be used in normal mode with a backup and that does a thorough clean.

I would appreciate experienced comments from users regarding Registry Mechanic as I am considering purchasing it and retiring Reg Supreme since it does not seem to be doing a total clean in normal mode and I am not experienced enough to do a Deep clean.

I hope that I will get comments from experienced users of both proggys, thankyou.

Regards.

Edited by georgia, 07 December 2005 - 12:44 AM.

Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:36 AM

The only registry programs that I use are (all are free):
ERUNT
NTREGOPT
RegClean v4.1 (haven't used it in a long while)

I don't think that anything more is needed for the registry in XP.

For removing programs, I use Total Uninstall - you scan your system before and after the install, and it lists all the added, deleted, and changes components in both your Registry and your hard drive.

Last freeware version is available here: http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/util/uninst.html

Shareware version available here: http://www.martau.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

From everything I've heard there are only two alternatives when you don't want to use some kind of expert-mode or similar that requires a modest amount of know-how and that is Reg Supreme and RegCleaner which is based on an old version of Reg Supreme. Any other similar program (including Registry Mechanic) does a much worse job.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Graynight

Graynight

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

Have been reading some other forums and the views about whether registry cleaning is necessary or even harmful are mixed.

I have used JV16.orgs free regcleaner for years without issues and it does automatic backups.

Another one I have been hearing good comments about is Regseeker and I have used it myself
and it seemed to do the job nicely.

There was a test of ten popular registry cleaners and they were rated for their effectiveness and
noted that the number of problems reported varied from program to program.
Some reported very high number of errors on first scan, but when retried showed much less or none.

The reviewer thought it was better to use the programs which showed consistent results on repeated scans.
Regmechnic received a good rating but not as high as I would have thought.

I wish I had the link for this post so you could read the results.

Try to find the older version of Juno Vuori's Regcleaner from www.majorgeeks.com
It is totally free and one of the easiest to use.

Edited by Graynight, 13 December 2005 - 10:31 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

Here's the link (I think): http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...71203805&pgno=1

I forgot about the jv16 free reg cleaner - it goes on my list also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users