Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement of Integrated Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 final_burden345

final_burden345

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

I have an HP Touchsmart that had some problems a while back. The screen went white one day, and although the computer seems to be working aside from no actual display, I don't know where to start. The computer is an all in one and has no video out of any sort, so for one I am unsure if the problem is being caused by a failing LCD, or a broken video card. The Video Card is integrated into the mother board, so with my lack of computer knowledge I am unsure of what to do. I have read online, and it seems these computers released with graphics card problems. First off, how do I go about finding out what the problem is? Secondly, how would I go about fixing either problem. I am a complete novice, but I don't have the money to have it fixed professionally and the warranty is already expired. However, i am more than willing to put in any wrench time if there is hope of me fixing the problem myself. If you need any additional information to help, post and i will reply. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by final_burden345, 27 December 2010 - 05:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

What is the model of the touch smart is it? if it has an internal PCI express lane and its a graphics card problem, it is feasible you could fix it by putting in a dedicated card, but my knowledge of touchsmart PCs, from outward appearances Id guess the chances of there being a PCI_E express lane are pretty slim to none, and the only way I know to test the screen is to take it out, and put it in a known working touchsmart, off hand-without being able to take it into a shop that is. Im not sure what to tell you at this point, but if you get the exact model number we can go, it appears from a simple google search that some touchsmarts at least, had upgradeable graphics, and if that is the case we may be able to at the very least, diagnose your problem if not fix it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 final_burden345

final_burden345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

Its an iq504, and after doing some reading it looks like it does not have a slot for an after market video card. I read about LCD failure, and found that a white screen can be as simple as a loose connection between the screen and the motherboard. I think i am going to start by just unplugging the LCD's ribbon and plugging it back in. If that does not work, i was wondering if i could test the computer by buying a USB to VGA adapter and hooking it to a different monitor. If I can't get any display or get a white screen on the other monitor, then i would know that it is likely my video card or motherboard, correct? Again, i really only know what i've read elsewhere.

Edited by final_burden345, 28 December 2010 - 03:24 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

As long as your careful when you dismantle not to zap anything with static electricity (dont move your feet, always touch something metal before anything electronic, not wise idea to wear socks on carpet, etc.) and remember where all the screws go, you can try unplugging it and plugging it back in, and a USB adaptor should tell you whether or not its the screen or the motherboard, though they run about 30 bucks for the low end ones-so decide how much you want to spend on this thing now, and find out how much it would cost for a computer repair men to look at it, and weigh the pros and cons.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users