Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Wired Internet but not Wi-Fi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Giadzi

Giadzi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

It's been a long time since I have been on these forums. I figured I would run this by everyone though I think I know the answer.
My desktop/wired internet (Comcast) is slow starting up and loading pages (on and off hang time snd somtimes takes a few tries to get the page) though downloads are fine, generally. E-mail starts slowly then runs fine once all the new messages download. There are days the desktop runs like dial-up and days semi-normal. My daughters have no problem using the Wi-Fi connection from the router with their laptops and their speed is good.
The desktop will at times load the page then blank out and load again (Yahoo mostly).

I have a Dell Dimension E510 and am running Windows XP. My router is a D-Link DIR-655. I have configured the desktop to to get max efficiency.
I am no way an expert but my opinion is the desktop itself is the problem- it is getting old and dated. I say that becaise some programs start up slowly. Comcast just ran some new lines in the neighborhood aftwer I had a Tech in as I was getting intermittant loss of internet and phone service which are on the same line. That has cleared up but the desktop is till slow.

BTW, I am in the process of looking for a new computer and favor the Dell Inspiron 580S - any other suggestions?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Maybe this would help with a slow computer? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html

To find out your internet speed/quality, you can either use Speedtest.net or Speakeasy Speed Test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users