Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a PC

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 huntingdog0

huntingdog0

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:46 PM

I am looking at building a new desktop and would like some help to make sure everything is compatible and also would like some suggestions. I like to game but i am not a heavy gamer and just play basics. My goal is to get a fast quality desktop that will last and handle multitasking with youtube, gaming, Bluray watching/burning, downloading, and video editing. I plan on getting sony vegas and editing a lot of HD videos. If you can tell me if all of the following are compatible or you have a suggestion on changing something to fit me better that would be great. Thanks!

CPU(suggestions?)
CPU 1 *OR* CPU 2

MOBO

HDD

Memory

Fan/Heatsink(if the CPU doesn't have one?)

Power Supply(higher/lower wattage or is this good?)

Tower(top one worth the extra $?)
Tower 1 *OR* Tower 2

Bluray drive(apples to apples which is better?)
Pioneer *OR* Sony

Graphics card(do i even need one?)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks again! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

16GB is overkill...
1000W Power supply is WAY overkill, especially for that puny graphics card.

You definitely need a graphics card since your motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics. Or else, you'll get nothing on your screen!
And I think you might want to go for a better graphics card, depending on your gaming.

Speaking of which, you mentioned you "just play basics" - what does that mean? What games do you play?

And what's your overall budget?

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:03 PM

What is your budget?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 huntingdog0

huntingdog0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:40 AM

I guess my budget would have to be $2,000 but I am flexible. The one I had pieced together was $1,017-$1,447 depending on the options I took.

Ha yeah I wondered bout the RAM and Power Supply but I Just wanted it fairly future proof but I don't know how possible that is haha.

Well the gaming would consist of online small games like miniclip.com and runescape and the GTASAMP(GTA San Andreas Multi-player) which can get laggy on some computers. I don't think I will but I'd like to have it set up to be good with some games like WOW just to have that option but not real serious about it.(I have a PS3 to do gaming haha)

Thanks a ton Trashcan7 and thanks for looking Killerx525. Hope you can get back to me. :thumbsup:

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

For the RAM, 4GB is usually good for most purposes, but you can go 8GB for a high-end system.
For the power supply, usually people get huge power supplies for the high-end graphic cards, especially if they want to go Crossfire/SLI.
And you don't need a separate cpu fan/heatsink unless you're going to overclock.

These are just my thoughts, but I'll let people who are more knowledgable in computer hardware actually suggest specific parts.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

I suggest making the following alterations.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz - If you are going to be editing movies, especially HD movies, I suggest getting a six-core CPU. Some editing programs love actual physical cores. $229

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 - That was an older motherboard design. This is a newer one with USB 3.0 and SATA 6. If you are not going to be using Crossfire, this motherboard will work well. If you are going to use Crossfire, a higher class motherboard is suggested. The GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX would be the next step up, and the MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3 AMD 890FX is the high-end flagship model. $99

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - Video editing programs love memory, but investing in 16GB is only necessary if you are really into editing. This is a single 4GB stick of DDR3-1333 RAM, 4GB is enough for most standard home users, gamers often get 8GB. You can get one stick for 4GB total, two for 8GB, or max everything out at 16GB. $46

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - This is enough for two high end graphics cards. If you want an even more high end, quality wise, PSU, the Sparkle Computer Corp GOLD CLASS SCC-750AF 750W is a little more expensive. $109

Case: COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP - This is one of the best cases you can get. It is a full-ATX case which allows it to handle the large graphics cards. Smaller graphics cards work best in Mid-ATX cases, but the larger ones need more room, more so if you are going to be using Crossfire. A less expensive case is the Antec Twelve Hundred. Note that side windows or vents will make your case seem louder. $199

Graphics Card: HIS H697F2G2M Radeon HD 6970 2GB - This is a high-end graphics card built for gaming. Performance wise, it comes in between the GTX 570 and 580. A step down from that card is the HIS H695F2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB which is roughly similar to the GTX 570. Going down on the performance ladder, the mid-range HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB is next with performance between the Radeon 5850 and the 5870. Just below that is the HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB which is between the Radeon 5830 and 5850 in performance. $369

3939.png

#7 huntingdog0

huntingdog0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

Couple of questions. Can someone explain the RAM a little better? there is 800/1066/1333/1600/1800/2000/2133. What is the difference? also in the details on the motherboard, If it says (OC) next to the RAM number does that mean I have to overclock it in order to use the RAM on that motherboard? Lastly, Do you need to use all slots or can you just use one slot of memory and leave the others empty?

I have changed some of my setup. I will use the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
Makes Sense. Thanks DJBPace07!

The MOBO I am still confused on. I will probably not be using crossfire because I am not too much of a gamer but I would like to have a decent MOBO. I am thinking about going with MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870as suggested but wondering if it is decent and good with my use of HD and stuff. It confused me because the newer MOBO design is cheaper? and I don't know what the reason is for choosing that one instead?

Also confused on the RAM because the question I asked at the top. debating between 2-4 sticks of DJBPasce07's suggested CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333, my original G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600, and was also told CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 was not a bad choice.
I would say I am more than a standard home user but not REALLY into video editing, YET. If that helps. Planned on using Vegas and trying a few other programs.

As far as the PSU, I also took DJ's suggested CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W. I like the % egg rating and 2,000+ reviews over the higher quality 5 egg but only 3 reviews.

When it comes to the case I should probably go with a full tower and I like DJ's suggested Antec Twelve Hundred(special the amount of 5 egg reviews, but also like the COOLER MASTER HAF X RC. Any reasoning for which is better?

Graphics card I am blind because I never really looked into these so I don't know which one is better out of the few DJ recommended but yeah video editing and light gaming. which is best for that? and if i only need a lower end one but the performance to cost of a higher end one like $20 more for a higher end one i would choose the higher end one.

Thanks everyone!, Narrowing it down. :thumbup2:

P.S. why is the newegg windows 7 so cheap? just cuz?(don't question a good deal?) haha :P

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:39 PM

RAM: AMD's standard is DDR3-1333, anything above that is overclocked and may require a setting in the BIOS be changed for use at faster speeds. The number following the DDR3 moniker, such as 1066, 1333, etc., are speed ratings. Not all motherboards take all speeds and will downclock the faster RAM if necessary. You can use any number of RAM slots, however, AMD's motherboards allow for dual channel so you get a little better performance if you use two or four slots. The performance difference is minor and largely not noticed in day to day activities, just like overclocking RAM.

CPU: Keep in mind that only programs that are designed to utilize all six cores will take advantage of them, otherwise they will be limited. Otherwise, they are limited to four, two, or one core. The program Handbrake loves six cores. This is true for all multi-core CPU's.

Motherboard: The reason the 870 is cheaper than the 790FX you originally chose is the chipset. AMD chipsets have a number, such as 870, 790GX, 890FX, etc., which denotes certain features. The FX at the end of the number indicates that it is a premium flagship model that has high PCI-Express X16 speeds when using more than one GPU. The 770 or 870 are standard motherboards, nothing at all special about them. Think of those as basic models. Then there are the G and GX models. The G model is usually designed for HTPC's and are of no use for your purpose, the GX is essentially an 870 or 770 motherboard with a low-end on-board graphics card built-in. MSI makes good motherboards, so you should be good to go.

PSU: Newegg reviews should be taken with a grain of salt as people will complain about everything, even problems they created. The Sparkle unit is higher quality, judging from the specs, and is also modular so you use only the cables you need.

Case: Again, be careful with the Newegg reviews. I still stand by the Cosmos. Looking at those two units, they are very similar, one is made of steel, the other steel and plastic, one has fewer fans, but they are larger fans. I would go for whichever one appealed to you the most.

Graphics Card: With AMD/ATI, graphics card numbering tells you how they are positioned on the market. With the new Radeon 6 series, AMD has shifted the number around a bit. Before, the x8xx series of GPU's were high-end, now, the x9xx series is high-end. Also, AMD has retired the ATI name, finally. The card you should get depends on what is defined as light gaming. My current graphics card is a Radeon 5850 and I get excellent framerates in Mass Effect 2 (Even with super sampling anti aliasing), Final Fantasy XIV, and just about any game I have playing at 1920 x 1200 resolution. But, I don't play games requiring fast reflexes so I can get away with a lower-end model. I would go for something in the Radeon 6800 series, preferably the 6870 as it has the power to at least allow for good frame rates over the next several years.

OS: That Windows 7 version is an OEM/System Builder copy. The software is exactly the same, only the license is different which basically says you provide computer support (Who calls Microsoft for support, anyway?) and you are forbidden from transferring the license to another computer. Microsoft defines a computer based on the motherboard, so, new motherboard, new PC. This is only a legal limitation, not at technical one, you can still very easily get around this.

3939.png

#9 huntingdog0

huntingdog0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Thanks DJB. I have been chatting on other forums and well, what does this set up look like to you? good?
AMD 1090T
Asus MOBO
WD 1.5 TB HDD
Windows 7
Sparkle PSU
Sony Bluray disk drive
GTX 460 GPU
G skill RAM
It is late and I am tired so if I am forgetting anything let me know haha. Also there are a lot of arctic silver adhesives. which one will i want? and Burrelll what is your take on the graphics card? Lastly good night! I think haha

Oh yeah...please...PLEASE double and maybe even triple check that everything is compatible ha. I would myself but need extra assurance and I don't know everything about computers which is why I am on here haha. Thanks again!

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

You should not get an Nvidia GPU for that AMD motherboard as it does not support SLI, which is Nvidia's answer to Crossfire. Also, the GTX 460 is outcperformed by both Radeon 6800 models, you should get either the HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB or the less expensive, but still more powerful than the GTX 460 yet costs a little less, HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB. You will also most likely not see any tangible speed increase with that RAM over the Corsair RAM I originally selected. The speed difference is very minor. You may also want to consider splitting your storage into two drives, one for the operating system and applications, and one for data. This way, if one fails, you still at least have something left. Getting the Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB for your OS/Applications drive and the other hard drive, or just a standard 1TB drive, for data storage would be best. You also need a case and keep in mind that if you are going to be watching Blu-Ray movies, you will need playback software since it doesn't come with Windows.

3939.png

#11 huntingdog0

huntingdog0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

Alright, Thanks for your help DJBPace. If I'm not missing anything I will probably be buying all this shortly! :thumbsup:

#12 huntingdog0

huntingdog0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

hey if anyone can through in an opinion and reasoning real quick i'd appreciate it. But I am planning on the list i posted above but i am stuck on 2 MOBO's I will not be using SLI/crossfire and well these are the 2, the Asus and the Gigabyte. Also should I get a different CPU fan/heatsink like this Corsair or should i use the one that comes with the processor?

maybe the brand or just features will declare which MOBO to go with?

THANKS!!!!

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:05 AM

You don't need the FX chipsets if you are not going to be doing Crossfire. The MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 will work. Like all AMD 800 series chipsets, it comes with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 built-in. You can use the one that came with the box, unless you are overclocking. BTW, if you are not going to be using Crossfire, you can downgrade your PSU to something a little less expensive as 750W is meant for multi-GPU builds. Or, you can keep it just in case. Have you decided on which GPU you are going to be getting?

3939.png

#14 huntingdog0

huntingdog0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

Well I think I'll keep the PSU just in case nice to have the extra if ever needed. Also my HD video cam has a n hdmi cable but I can transfer HD videos from my camera via the usb cable right? so I don't need an HDMI port on the MOBO correct? I might be overclocking. Still undecided but i'll keep the heatsink/fan in mind if I do. And my GPU I think will be the HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5. It is $60 cheaper.

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

The graphics card comes with two HDMI ports and two DVI ports so there isn't any reason to use a "G" or "GX" motherboard, if you were planning on Crossfire, I would go for an "FX" board. Since you aren't doing Crossfire and you're getting a dedicated graphics card, the basic 870 will suffice. You can transfer movies off the camera using a standard USB cable. HD movies are huge, so expect to wait a while for the transfer to finish, unless your camera has eSATA or a removable hard drive, but this is the case with any large files.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users