Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD Elements 2TB drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 starnz

starnz

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

Hello,

I have a WD 2TB Elements external hard drive that suddenly stopped working. I use the drive solely for movie storage and have approx 1tb worth of data on the the drive. When I connect it to the computer it is not recognized in My Computer. If I go to disk management, it is also not showing up there. However, it does show up under device manager and shows it as working properly. The drive itself lights up and everything when connected, I can also feel it spin.

After looking this up online, I tried the program testdisk and it is recognized in testdisk as well. But when I use testdisk, I'm not sure how to proceed because it gives me a partition read error and I have not found anything online about how to handle this.

If anyone is familiar with this problem or with using testdisk, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can recover the partition structure and continue using the drive but at the very least I would like to recover the information from the drive and dump it onto another HDD.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

Inside the case of the external drive there is, most likely, a standard SATA drive. I would try removing the drive from the case and installing it as a 2nd drive in my computer to see if it is recognized and accessible there. This will tell you whether the issue is due to the failure of the case itself or the drive. If the drive works outside of the case then you can install the drive in a new case.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 starnz

starnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the response. Since I am in no way a computer tech, there are several questions I would have with this approach. I don't even know how to open the case or connect it to another computer, but I could try this as a last resort. My impression is that the case is fine, but the drive partitions somehow got screwed up. At one point I was able to access the drive in disk management and it showed up as RAW instead of the NTFS. I would like to keep the drive intact but if not I can try other options.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Late, but pertinent :), http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raw-filesystem.htm AND RAW Volume (Quietman) - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36698

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users