Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unique Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrmus

mrmus

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

My eMachines T2402 was has been good for my uses since I bought it in 2003. It still had had the original 40 Gb hard drive in it. But, recently we have been getting tight on our hard disk space and purchased a 1Tb hard drive. We finally began the installation process and have run in to problems. What we have done so far:

-Downloaded Acronis and made an image of our 40 Gb hard drive (we saved every thing on a 64 Gb thumb drive.

-Removed the 40 Gb and put in the 1Tb with the SATA power cable and SATA interface from the motherboard.

Now we are at the point to where are attempting to reinstall the Windows XP OS, but the BIOS will not recognize our new 1 Tb drive (C:/). I can get to a command prompt to read from my A:/ (cd drive). I also get a message that reads "cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT".

I am thinking that my pc is not reading my new 1 Tb drive. How do I get that to happen?

Any suggestions as to how to get me back up and running would be greatly appreciated!

With much respect....Mrmus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

Is the new drive listed as being backward compatible to SATA I?
If so, do you have the jumper set to enable the backward compatibility?

#3 mrmus

mrmus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

Oops, I am not sure about that....how do I find out?

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

Look on the drive label, the instructions that came with the drive, or try the drive manufacturers website.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

Just a note...if the new drive is not yet formatted/initialized...Winddows will not see it. Windows can only see formatted/initialized drives.

If the BIOS sees the drive, then it's either Windows or the software you are using that is the stumbling block.

I don't use Acronis so I can't provide any assistance on how to resurrect any of its backups...but there should be ample instructions for such at the Acronis website.

Louis

#6 mrmus

mrmus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:16 AM

Well, I got it up and going...I set it up as an external drive. I would have preferred to take the place of my primary HD...It is working fine...and I did have to format it. Any suggestions as to how to make it my primary HD? My present primary (C:/) is pretty full and I would prefer to load everything over to the new HD, however, some items will not move. I guess this is because it is designated somewhere that my C:/ is my primary HD.

Thank you for your assistance!

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Any suggestions as to how to make it my primary HD?

Have you followed the previous instructions to determine if the drive is backward compatible?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

Actually...I think that you currently have things set up quite well.

There is no reason to have more than 40GB set up as the system/Windows/C: partition. That size is probably as large as I would suggest for a system partition and I don't believe that having only 1 hard drive is superior to having a smaller drive for Windows and a larger drive for data storage, backups, etc.

If you insist on using the 1TB drive as the sole drive...bear in mind that placing all of your eggs in one basket could be regretted later.

If the Windows drive develops problems...you still would have access to all of your data files with no fear.

If the data file develops problems...you would be able to troubleshoot it much more effectively from a working Windows install.

Ultimately, if you want only one hard drive...you could always use cloning software...to copy a duplicate of your 40GB drive to the big drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users