Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uh-OH Toshiba Satellite

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

All right well this is the second time I've attempted to work on this particular troubled machine. Previously this Toshiba a M115 satellite with 1GB of ram a 250GB hdd running XP home sp3, came from a co-worker complaining of pop-ups and the typical mal-ware related issues. I cleaned em up and sent them away with a functional working laptop. That was a few weeks ago, now they brought it back claiming it wouldn't boot just kept getting caught in a boot loop. So i agreed to look at it again.

It wouldn't boot no safe mode, nothing. So I attempted last known good config about 10 times as I recall reading here that sometimes it requires multiple attempts, No go.

Next on my list is recovery console run a chkdsk no issues. Still no boot Chkdsk again /r repairs a couple sections still no boot. Try it again /r as well this time no repairs no problems, and still no boot.

It has a hitachi hdd in it so I try their hdd utilities to no avail. I cave and ask if its okay to reinstall the os. Plug in the hdd to our external adaptor and pull off some of their personal file music/pics and the like. Plug it back in the lappy. Power it up boot off an xp home sp3 and delete the exhisting partitions no prob start to fromat the drive normal not the quick format computer gets to 57% done freezes there for about 45min all the time this is plugged into the adaptor btw. Then shuts down I thought it maybe overheated as the drive and cd where churning but it doesn't seem hot and there is no dust accumulation in the chasis. Now the computer won't even turn on no front panel lights to indicate power in any way shape or form, no nothing.

My question is this laptop toasted, or even worth attempting to repair? Or any ideas what might be wrong with it?

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genericuser1

genericuser1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

The problem should be with either the ram or the cpu.

Troubleshoot the ram first and if that doesn't work it must be the cpu.

#3 Barajiqal

Barajiqal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Problem solved,

It was the power supply the cord was damaged, a little soldering did the trick.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users