Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Problems with Desktop Icons and Java

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BrandonWenger

BrandonWenger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:04 AM

I have noticed two things lately that are starting to bother me. First, I am no longer able to automatically sort my desktop icons. Right-clicking on the desktop gives me a context menu but the options in the 'sort by' field are grayed out. These options work perfectly when I am in any folder,including the folder view of my desktop. My second issue is Java-related. I tried to install the Android SDK on my machine by using the EXE file from the relevant site. I received an error telling me that I needed the newest JRE to complete the installation. My Java is up-to-date, so I tried the RAR file for the SDK after verifying my Java install at java.com. The RAR worked perfectly. I know that Vuze and Frostwire are Java-intensive, so I tried installing each of them. Vuze gave me a VB runtime error, Frostwire told me that I was missing Java. I am not looking for information on torrenting. My ISP is a tad irked at me and I am done downloading this type of thing, so please do not scold me for my decision to try installing those programs. It was simply a test. My system scans clean with Avast 5.0 free, Malwarebytes 1.50, and SUPERAntispyware. I installed Uniblue PowerSuite to see if it could fix any registry issues, but this has not helped.

I am sorry for posting two separate problems in the same thread, but they are the only issues that have cropped up lately and both showed up at roughly the same time. Thank you in advance.

***EDIT***

I figured the 'Sort by' issue out. In the odd event that anyone else experiences this, right-click the desktop, go to View, and select Show Desktop Icons. Mine were already visible when I selected this and they stayed visible afterward, even though they should have disappeared. When I went back in and selected Show Desktop Icons, they disappeared like they were supposed to. This bothered me and I made them visible again to see if it made a difference in the Sort By menu. It did. Just figured I would let everyone know.

To the mods, I now regret how vague my topic was. Can it be changed to "Having Problems with Desktop Icons and Java"? Sorry about the hassle.
Done ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 December 2010 - 02:22 PM.
Edited title ~ Hamluis.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 58 C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 659MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Jh (Socket 989)
Graphics
MEUSLCD4 @ 1920x1080
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1600x900
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 40 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N
DWVM XQRCP67K9 SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

Have you installed both versions of Java? (32bit + 64bit)

#3 BrandonWenger

BrandonWenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

Have you installed both versions of Java? (32bit + 64bit)

I did before the problems started. I uninstalled both and re-installed from the Java site because I wondered if there was some sort of conflict between the two. Right now, the only thing listed is Java 6 Update 23.
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 58 C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 659MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Jh (Socket 989)
Graphics
MEUSLCD4 @ 1920x1080
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1600x900
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 40 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N
DWVM XQRCP67K9 SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio