Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System hacked or infected with some really bad virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 needhelp16

needhelp16

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

I have had small problems in the past but was able to track and remove the virus/infected file after reading useful posts in this forum. But this time, I have given up. I had some virus entries in the msconfig dialogue which I unchecked but I cannot do anything beyond that. If I try to start the system in normal mode, the system starts but will hang and not let me start internet explorer or firefox. I started the system in safe mode with networking and could not connect to internet using internet explorer and had the msg "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Then I tried to use firefox and could open pages such as yahoo mail, exchange mail, and bank account websites (I did not login as I was suspicious) but google and other pages will not open and will say that it is using proxy server. I then went to the acout:config page of firefox and removed proxy setting and now I was able to open google and finally register here.

Please let me know what I need to do to get back to normal life :)

Thank in advance to everyone who may be helping me!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jrodextreme

Jrodextreme

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

Sounds like you have a redirection virus. First, check to see if a proxy server is set up under internet explorer:
-open internet explorer
-select tools>internet options
-select connections tab and select the LAN settings button
-make sure that you do not have a proxy server set up: under proxy server section, uncheck use proxy server

Next, download and run TDSS killer download it here..install and run TDSS killer. After running this program, download AVAST from here: Download it here. Install AVAST and select to run a boot-time scan. (This will take awhile). Delected all infected files. Reply if this does not fix the problem.

Thanks!

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

I have requested help for your original topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic369608.html/page__p__2070904__fromsearch__1#entry2070904

To avoid confusion and allow you to get help in the proper forum I am closing this topic.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users