Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the best (free) stand-alone supplemental malware programs to use for XP-Pro?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:47 AM

I'm fixing my friends computer again because due to his unsafe surfing habits, he got it wrecked up with malware again and it required a reinstallation of XP-Pro. It's an old Dell 2.8Ghz w/512Mb RAM.

I've installed Microsoft Security Essentials for the real-time virus/spyware protection. And I've installed Malwarebytes as a stand-alone to scan and fix with. I want to load his computer up with as many free programs that I possibly can that wont conflict with each other. I'll put a dozen or more on there if that's what it takes. But I gotta put more on there than just MSE and Malwarebytes.

I also want to install SUPERAntiSpyware and Spybot Search & Destroy. As far as I know they don't have real-time so it shouldn't be an issue...or will there be one?
I know you can't have two antivirus programs running at the same time so I'm not going to do that.

I want to go overboard to give him more "ammunition" to scan his computer with when he gets infected again (and he will I'm sure) so I really need to know what all I can install for supplemental programs.

What all (free) programs are out there that I can install that wont clash with each other? And please provide your reviews on each one.

I will really appreciate this information!

Thank you

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

Hello,

I use AVG 2011 Pro and MalwareBytes Pro, and they are working perfect so far! I have only best words for them :thumbsup:
I am not considering adding any more Security Programs!
You can install Spybot S&D, it will protect you better if you don't have full versions of antivirus!

Hope this helps!

Max

Edited by max7bg, 27 December 2010 - 06:10 AM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:37 AM

Could you convince your friend to use an account on his XP Pro machine that is not an administrative account?
This will prevent a lot of malware from infecting his computer, and it will also help with the cleanup.

I know it's not that easy to use XP with a non-admin account, so if it's not possible for your friend, I recommend you configure SRPs to restrict the rights of some of the targeted applications, like Internet Explorer and and Adobe Reader.
I've a blogpost on how to configure SRP to restrict the rights of Adobe Reader:
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2009/09/28/quickpot-safer-and-malicious-documents/

It's easy to adapt these instructions for another program, like Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, ...

By configuring SRPs like I show in the blogpost, these applications will not run with administrative rights, even if your friend uses an administrative account.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Could you convince your friend to use an account on his XP Pro machine that is not an administrative account?
This will prevent a lot of malware from infecting his computer, and it will also help with the cleanup.

I know it's not that easy to use XP with a non-admin account, so if it's not possible for your friend, I recommend you configure SRPs to restrict the rights of some of the targeted applications, like Internet Explorer and and Adobe Reader.
I've a blogpost on how to configure SRP to restrict the rights of Adobe Reader:
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2009/09/28/quickpot-safer-and-malicious-documents/

It's easy to adapt these instructions for another program, like Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, ...

By configuring SRPs like I show in the blogpost, these applications will not run with administrative rights, even if your friend uses an administrative account.

It's :offtopic: , but I must say that it is great mini tut! :clapping:
Could I block every program with this?

Regards,
Max

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

In theory yes, but it won't work, as many programs on XP require administrative rights to function correctly.

But here's an alternative: use a Least-privilege User Account (LUA, fancy word for non-admin account) and configure SRPs to only allow LUAs to execute programs from the system directory and the program files directory (see step 3 here http://hype-free.blogspot.com/2008/04/windows-xp-high-security-configuration.html).

This way, you prevent LUAs from executing programs you as an administrator have not approved: they won't be able to start programs that are not in the system and program files directory, and they won't be able to change/install programs in these directories.

Configuring and using your XP machine like this will prevent almost all downloaded malware from running.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

Another good program I run with my Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes AntiMalware PRO and then for the rest I use SUPERAntiSpyware. Use an AV and MBAM, SAS once a week and you will like me NEVER get infected, also a good thing is to setup a HOST file for blocking unwanted internet access.

I hope you find this useful. MBAM = MalwareBytes AntiMalware , SAS = SUPERAntiSpyware

Check this tutorial out for learning about HOST file and its use : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hosts-files-explained/

With Regards,
Karsten

#7 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:11 AM

In theory yes, but it won't work, as many programs on XP require administrative rights to function correctly.

But here's an alternative: use a Least-privilege User Account (LUA, fancy word for non-admin account) and configure SRPs to only allow LUAs to execute programs from the system directory and the program files directory (see step 3 here http://hype-free.blogspot.com/2008/04/windows-xp-high-security-configuration.html).

This way, you prevent LUAs from executing programs you as an administrator have not approved: they won't be able to start programs that are not in the system and program files directory, and they won't be able to change/install programs in these directories.

Configuring and using your XP machine like this will prevent almost all downloaded malware from running.

Many thanks, I really needed this!
Bookmarked this topic... :)

Another good program I run with my Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes AntiMalware PRO and then for the rest I use SUPERAntiSpyware. Use an AV and MBAM, SAS once a week and you will like me NEVER get infected, also a good thing is to setup a HOST file for blocking unwanted internet access.

I hope you find this useful. MBAM = MalwareBytes AntiMalware , SAS = SUPERAntiSpyware

Check this tutorial out for learning about HOST file and its use : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/hosts-files-explained/

With Regards,
Karsten

Never tried SUPERAntiSpyware. Must try it just to see how it looks and works! Doubtfully but maybe MBAM missed something bad :whistle:

Regards,
Max

#8 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

MBAM overlooks alot of COOKIES that SAS takes out everytime, this is my reason for using it! MBAM does take almost EVERYTHING infection related!

SUPERAntiSpyware is just one I use, just to be on the safe side!

#9 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

MBAM overlooks alot of COOKIES that SAS takes out everytime, this is my reason for using it! MBAM does take almost EVERYTHING infection related!

SUPERAntiSpyware is just one I use, just to be on the safe side!

I tried SUPERAntiSpyware and i really doesn't like it, too many unnecessary buttons and options, MBAM is simply to use! I just got used to MBAM, I use it over 2 years! SAS sometimes crash unexpectedly, and knows to slow computer! Also MBAM has faster scan! Don't know about you, but I see it like that!

For Cookies there is AVG, he cleans it perfectly!

Don't get me wrong, I just love using MBAM, and i will keep using it... B)

With regards,
Max

#10 KarstenHansen

KarstenHansen

The Dane

• Members
  • 1,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

Dont get me wrong max, MBAM is one of my best tools, but it for sure is NOT and will NEVER be my only tool used. As I stated ealier I use it for what MBAM dont take along and my AV and MBAM and SAS works so good together. My AV is realtime and so is MBAM, but SAS I only use for scanning and removing mostly cookies. MBAM is one of the best tools we have, no doubt. But still I will always use the tools I think is best for the job at hand! Im not locked into any tools and I dont want to be locked in my choosing! This was my 2 cents.

You can ofcourse use whatever tools you like it is only meant as a suggestion to you and other people reading this topic!

Cheers

#11 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,639 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

but SAS I only use for scanning and removing mostly cookies.

BTW, I'm wondering, is this the only way you manage cookies?

From your avatar, I assume you use FF (like me). I've set FF to erase all cookies when I close FF. And I've the BetterPrivacy add-on to erase Flash Cookies.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Handler

#12 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Dont get me wrong max, MBAM is one of my best tools, but it for sure is NOT and will NEVER be my only tool used. As I stated ealier I use it for what MBAM dont take along and my AV and MBAM and SAS works so good together. My AV is realtime and so is MBAM, but SAS I only use for scanning and removing mostly cookies. MBAM is one of the best tools we have, no doubt. But still I will always use the tools I think is best for the job at hand! Im not locked into any tools and I dont want to be locked in my choosing! This was my 2 cents.

You can ofcourse use whatever tools you like it is only meant as a suggestion to you and other people reading this topic!

Cheers

Sorry, I misunderstood you
I also have AV and MBAM realtime, so I will consider using SAS, for removing cookies, althought AV doing it perfectly!

With regards,
Max

#13 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:40 AM

You can install Spybot S&D, it will protect you better if you don't have full versions of antivirus!

Hope this helps!

Max

Yes, that does help! Thank you. I'll definitely install that program too. I just now read the wikipedia.org review on it and it has something called a TeaTimer module that provides real-time protection from undesirable registry changes like when malware tries alter the registry. I think that'll come in real handy. :thumbup2:

Lee

#14 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:44 AM

Hi,

I am glad I can help :)

Please take your time and read Bleeping Computer's great tutorial about Spybot S&D!

Spybot S&D Tutorial

Regards,
Max

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

Check out SpywareBlaster. It is not a scanner but it can prevent infections getting on your computer.

Edited by Budapest, 28 December 2010 - 03:09 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users