Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are all the free firewalls available for use on Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lee42

Lee42

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:35 AM

I'm fixing my friends computer again because due to his unsafe surfing habits, he got it wrecked up with malware again and it required a reinstallation of XP-Pro.
The computer is an old Dell 2.8Ghz w/512Mb RAM.

I think this time around I want to install a good (free) firewall but I need some expert advice on which ones I should use.
In my travels tonight, I d/l'd the ZoneAlarm free firewall but have yet to try it. Is that one a good one?

I don't know anything about firewalls but I just learned that the Windows firewall only blocks incoming traffic but not outgoing.
I personally use Norton's that came with the Security Suite program which is great but this guy has no money to spare so I have to
get the free ones to get his computer protected.

So if I could just get a list of all the free firewalls that are out there, along with your reviews on them, I'd be ever so grateful.

Thank you so much!

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:19 AM

Hello,
You can try following free firewalls: Comodo Firewall (remember to uncheck Install Comodo Antivirus) or Zonealarm
See Bleepingcomputer's excellent tutorial to help using and understanding a firewall here
Note: You should only have one firewall installed at a time. Having more than one firewall program installed at once is likely to cause conflicts and may well decrease your overall protection as well as seriously impairing the performance of your PC.

Hope this helps :)

Max

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

I use and like Online Armor.

Has some other nice features built in. Depending on what other security apps. I have installed on any one PC allows to to either use the other offered protection or use only the FW.

Edited by ThunderZ, 27 December 2010 - 07:54 AM.

#4 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

All for free
whitout HIPS:
- Filseclab
- NetVeda Safety.Net
- GhostWall
- Sygate
whit HIPS:
- Online Armor Free
- Privatefirewall
- Comodo
- PC Tolls
- ZoneAlarm
- Outpost

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

I very much like the HIPS feature now included in many of the free versions. One more layer of protection.

Be aware however that they may require a bit of configuring.

HIPS = Host Intrusion Prevention System. Due to the way some AV`s as well as other real time security programs interact with a system the HIPS feature may cause some problems. You should be able to work around this by adding the AV\other security program(s) to the exclusion list in the HIPS program.

I had a minor problem with one module of my AV and Firewll\HIPS until I added the AV to the "always allow" in the HIPS\FW.
Depending on which HIPS\FW you are using it may be called something else.

#6 Lee42

Lee42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

@max7bg

@ThunderZ

@ichito

I doubt you guys are still watching this thread but if so, I just wanted to say a big Thank You for all your helpful replies! :thumbup2:

I could have sworn I replied to this to thank everyone, and I feel like a total jerk for not doing so!

Tonight I stumbled across this helpful post (in the New User Orientation forum) called "How To Find Your Previous Posts / Topics" (here) then found this
old post and then realized my mistake. I sincerely apologize. I hope you guys can forgive me. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users