Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth buying a new set of software?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Balliol

Balliol

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:57 AM

My computer is five years old and I am thinking of buying a new one. Is it worth getting a new set of software such as Works and if so which is the most cost effective option?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

Try Open Office
Its free and will read and write Word & Excel files.
Works uses a fairly proprietary file format. For that reason, if you email a works file to someone as an attachment and they do not have Works (most people dont) they will not be able to open it.
Word is a more compatible file format
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

I second the vote for OpenOffice, it will do everything Works can do and more. It can read/write MS format files (the default is it's own format but that can be over ridden). An alternative to OpenOffice is LibreOffice. Both are completely free.

Edited by strolln, 27 December 2010 - 01:54 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users