Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D610 Problems....very.very.....VERY stupid

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:49 AM

Ok my and my friend are trying to get ths D610 to install Win XP but it WILL NOT do it the disk drive doesn't work with the bios but we can boot a OS called Slax and the CD drive works and second we use Wintoflash to put the XP install on a flash drive and I KNOW it works because I tested it on my PC but on his it just stays on a blank command screen does ANYONE have ANY idea what is wrong? I tell the PC to boot from the flash drive and everything it just wont do it any help with be appreciated, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:44 PM

Quick question, does the computer have a floppy disk drive?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

Just in case this is helpful in some way, here is several links.

This is the main support page.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

This page has the Windows XP Home Edition Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=E8FE6868-6E4F-471C-B455-BD5AFEE126D8

I am adding Windows XP Professional Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install just in case.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F

Now of course I am providing this information not yet knowing if the computer in question has a Floppy drive or not.

You may be able to download an image that will work on a flash drive and get the system to recognize the CD in the optical disk.
Although I have never personally tried this myself, it might work.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 December 2010 - 03:00 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:33 PM

Ya it
does not
have a f2loppy dr3ive and the bios does not
use it
pr3oper3ly and now my PC is frekaing out because you see my typeiing? it keeps pressing false keys but any other ideas on the laptop ill straighten out my pc whatever is wrong with it heh

#5 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

Ok I hope somebody is still watching this and my keyboard is back to working normal does anyone have any ideas? I was telling my friend we should put a new bios on there but thats just a guess...

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:45 PM

you say it will boot different OSes, but will it install any other OS? have you tried running any hard drive diagnostic programs on it?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:07 AM

Is the hard drive being seen by the BIOS?

have you tried running any hard drive diagnostic programs on it?

I would also suggest that ^

#8 NuckenFutz

NuckenFutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

Yes the bios detects the HDD and I will try some diagnostic programs to see if they find anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users