Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Start Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jsalazar

jsalazar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

I recently had an extensive battle with a redirect virus last month and after finally beating it, thought I wouldn't have to read forum after forum of information and solutions for a while. Since I was wrong, I'm here with a problem that is most likely a product of the virus, my firewall won't start as well as ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

I discovered this while trying to set up wifi for gaming from my computer's router connection. I'm so brain dead from hours of researching, but I'll try to post the most important things:

I don't have two firewalls or anything like Zone Alarm, I've gone into services and tried to start Windows Firewall and Windows Firewall/ICS but they both give me errors. Trying to just turn on the firewall brings the error Windows cannot start the firewall service (Which before I did all the command prompt trickery said something along the lines of "Can't start firewall due to an unidentifiable problem"). I've already tried which on every forum seems like the final solution, Typing rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%\inf\netrass.inf in command but it turns up with an "Installation Failed" error. When I try the netsh firewall reset (not sure if I typed it correctly here but I did earlier) I got a message telling me firewall isn't turned on. I've reset winsock, and created a new firewall registry file (or something like that) as well as merged it with the registry files. Also, ICS plain doesn't work for these reasons.

I don't know where else to turn and the last viable solution seems like to reformat or reinstall windows, which I'm not sure I have the means to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jsalazar, 27 December 2010 - 12:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:50 AM

You have two separate services you're working with. First, set Windows
Firewall service to Automatic. Then disable Internet Connection Service. See
if you get the firewall service running.

Depending on how your network is setup, you may not need the ICS service.

I use comodo free firewall and don't worry about the default firewall.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Edited by zbd, 27 December 2010 - 07:54 AM.

#3 jsalazar

jsalazar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

You have two separate services you're working with. First, set Windows
Firewall service to Automatic. Then disable Internet Connection Service. See
if you get the firewall service running.

Depending on how your network is setup, you may not need the ICS service.

I use comodo free firewall and don't worry about the default firewall.

http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Thank you for the reply.

The problem is that I need ICS for the online gaming I'm trying to pursue and this is where the Firewall problem comes in. I've disabled both Firewalls as of right now but I will try it (I'm not on the administrator account right now) and let you know if it works.

And also, since I'm on the account that was infected, upon opening the internet I got a Rundll32 error that said could not find net.api and something along the lines of serv.api which are some files I were dealing with while exterminating the virus. I might've have damaged them in the removal process and this might have something to do with the firewall. The internet works fine, however.

Edited by jsalazar, 27 December 2010 - 04:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users