Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting My Files Off A Crapped Laptop! Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Odin Computer

Odin Computer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:49 PM

Here's the situation...

Some months ago my HP Laptop got some kind of virus/spyware thing that eventually degenerated Windows ability to function. Now, you can turn the computer on, it will boot up, you can put in your Windows password, the desktop background will come up, but nothing else... and it just stays that way. You cannot use Windows at all.

I have since purchased a new Dell Desktop, but I have files on that laptop that date back 6 years and 2 computers. While I've given up hope on the computer itself, I want those files!

Considering myself clever, I thought that I could remove the hard drive of the laptop (which I did) and use an external hard drive enclosure with a USB connection to pull the files off. Of course, I've twice ordered the wrong HD enclosure (wrong connection type, wrong size) and am starting to wonder if it would even work anyways. Not to mention the laptop's HD is mounted on some metal casing which seems impossible to remove and thus makes it impossible to fit into a HD enclosure regardless....

I took it to some tech helpers and they're only suggestion was to wipe the hard drive and start over. Fine, but I want the files first! So they couldn't help me obviously.

What can I do??? I really want those files! All I need is to pull them off and I don't care if the laptop explodes as a consequence. Any help would be really appreciated! I've been trying to figure this out since July!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:03 PM

You should have used boot disks to get the old laptop going again before you dismantled it.

I am not really familiar with laptop hardware, but can you install the hard drive in a working pc as a slave?

#3 Odin Computer

Odin Computer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:18 PM

The laptop isn't totally dismantled... I mean it's not in mint condition... I had to like bash in some outer plastic to get the HD out... but you can put the HD back in and still works (except that Windows doesn't work) in fact I keep HD in it's original place when I'm not trying to stick into the wrong enclosure.

Making the Laptop HD a PC slave was another option I considered, but I don' t know how to do that.

#4 Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 12:47 AM

having built laptops in an OEM, there is no built-in cabling or jack to 'slave' a secondary drive; then connector for each drive is hardwired onto the motherboard. You would have to rig one; a standard IDE cable would probably work if you could find the correct pinouts for the connector on the drive... good luck trying that.

I would try to network or peer-to-peer both of the laptops together, and see if you could "hack" into the failing drive. Since it would boot before, then the disks will spin. I would boot both systems and if you can see the failed system from the working one, you should be able to access the drive and pull your files out.

Good luck

-Lazarus

#5 ing3

ing3

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:51 AM

maybe what you need is a adapter for laptop hard drive to work on desktop, adaper cost about $5.00 up , the only place im sure they have it is at compusa they hav a lot of cool modding gear for pc..

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:50 PM

Have you tried booting from the Windows installation disk/system restore disk?

A while ago I had a similar problem. What I did was upgrade the Windows Version I had by means of a borrowed CD, save the files I needed, and then reformat and reinstall Windows.

Could something like this work?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:09 PM

I took it to some tech helpers and they're only suggestion was to wipe the hard drive and start over. Fine, but I want the files first! So they couldn't help me obviously.

I hate this!!!! It's a poor excuse for tech support that's way, way overused when it's not even needed.

Your system booted - it got to the Desktop (albeit not all the way). First thing is to see if you can bring up Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and see if you can run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW (by selecting New Task in the lower right corner of Task Manager).

If that didn't work, a repair install could probably fix it, and even if it doesn't fix it all the way - it should fix it well enough to get the files off of it. Here's a link to the instructions for a repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If that didn't work you could boot with a DOS disk and use a copy of an NTFS reader to get your files - or you could boot with one of the many "Live" Linux distros to recover your files.

Let us know how these steps work and we can move onto the more complicated recovery techniques if necessary
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users