Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound not working in newly installed windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zurrco

Zurrco

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

I get the message "no speaker or heaphones are plugged in" as to why the sound doesnt work. I have tried the front and rear sound plug, different speakers and headsets with no luck. There is only one sound device listed in device manager, "High definition audio device", and when I try to update drivers it says "The best driver software for device is already installed. windows has determined the driver sofware for your device is up to date". The hardware ids are "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0882&SUBSYS_1458F603&REV_1001" and "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0882&SUBSYS_1458F603". I hope this is enough info to describe the problem. Not sure how to resolve this issue, any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
The PC, Taking OCD to a new level since 1976

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:32 AM

Hello,

Did you plugged in speaker into this port?

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/gan650slids4ports.jpg/

Regards,
Max

Edited by max7bg, 27 December 2010 - 04:38 AM.

#3 BrandonWenger

BrandonWenger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

I had the same problem with a friend's audio on a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional x64. He had Conexant Audio and was using the drivers provided by his computer's manufacturer page. After much searching, I tried Realtek's AC'97 drivers and the problem went away. I do not know if this will work for you but I am including the link to the site. Good luck!

Realtek HD Audio Codecs

Realtek AC'97 Audio Codecs
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 58 C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 659MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Jh (Socket 989)
Graphics
MEUSLCD4 @ 1920x1080
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1600x900
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 40 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N
DWVM XQRCP67K9 SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Is there a brown speaker down on task bar that is the audio manager? If so, thats good, but right click the white speaker for the regular volume control then choose playback settings, right click anywhere in the empty space of that box and make sure "show disabled, and also show disconnected devices" are checked.

What you see may differ from what is shown below. You might have to play around with it in order to complete the next steps. The best way to do this: If you have music on your pc, open up your media player. Choose something to play, let it play. If you don't have music on your pc, use a music cd if you have one.

After you check show disabled and disconnected devices, RIGHT click on your audio device. In my case, it's Realtek. If Realtek is enabled I don't hear anything. When I DISABLE it, sound returns.

If it's ENABLED, disable it. At this point, do you hear the music?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I spent 2 days trying to figure out how to get sound on my new Win7 system. When nothing worked, I admitted defeat and emailed a friend in Canada. He is the one who gave me what I mentioned in my first sentence above. He also stated "just remember i spent weeks, with lots of Rum to knock this out". Hope this works for you, minus the rum.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 December 2010 - 11:30 AM.

#5 Zurrco

Zurrco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Thanks to everyone for their help on this. I got it up and running after installing the Realtek HD Audio Codecs. Now it works like a charm. Thanks again guys!
The PC, Taking OCD to a new level since 1976

#6 BrandonWenger

BrandonWenger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

Glad to know it worked!
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 720QM @ 1.60GHz 58 C
Clarksfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 659MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G73Jh (Socket 989)
Graphics
MEUSLCD4 @ 1920x1080
Generic PnP Monitor @ 1600x900
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 40 C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N
DWVM XQRCP67K9 SCSI CdRom Device
MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio