Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page Not Found - Connected w/ Problems

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hello fellow BC peopleses,

I am having the problems again as usual because Windows is GREAT!!!

Anyway here's the skinny...

Network Config

Connected: Wirelessly via Belkin N router (router is located on a table at the foot of the bed from which I regularly operate the computer)

DHCP: Enabled

DNS: Configured to use OpenDNS servers

Security & Encryption: Enabled; WPA2-Personal, AES

LAN Settings: Automatically detect settings

The dealio

I'm connected wireless to the Internet via Belkin Wireless N router. My connection patches through automatically and without fail as soon as I flip open the lid of my laptop. However, I am having difficulties viewing pages, particularly while using Chrome (IE seems to not experience the same issues or at least with less frequency). I am consistently receiving errors that state: the page cannot be found (error 404 in IE).

Before posting, I did a test just to make sure I wasn't crazy. I opened Chrome and IE, entered the microsoft web page url and sent the request in both with the quickness. Chrome almost immediately returned a 404 and IE took about 20 seconds to load the page. If I refresh the page, it will often load, although sometimes this does not help. Also, it seems like pages are loading only some elements and then giving up loading the rest of the page. While using Chrome, videos WILL NOT LOAD, but they will in IE.

When I go to my office to work throughout the week I do not have these problems at all. The connection is fast and stable all day long. At first I thought there was a problem with my computer, but now my girlfriend is experiencing the same issues with her laptop on my network. Coincidentally, it seems that Chrome experiences the issues the most and using IE seems to work around the issue.

IE is all well and good when I first get a new computer and haven't downloaded a new browser yet, but Chrome is the best for me. I like the way it works. Integrates well with my common practices and habits. I want to get it working right again and I'm ready to do some HEAVY TROUBLESHOOTING!!!!

I mean seriously, I'm ready to try every trick in the book. I was experiencing similar issues a few months ago except that I could not get any browser to work. I called my ISP and they'll swear up and down all day long that it's not their fault. The last two times I called, the guy tried to educate me about what an IP address is: I nearly bit his head off over the line.

I'm losing patience and at this point, it's just absolutely frustrating. Please help, any advice would be great.

Edited by goose90proof, 26 December 2010 - 11:38 PM.

for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I would try and getting the latest firmware for your wireless router off their website. If it still gives you a problem I would go buy a new wireless router and not a belkin this time. I personally love Buffalo wireless routers and have never had a problem with them.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Three things, I'd try first.
Try your and your GF computers one after another

1. See, if you have same issues in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Hardwire a computer to a router and see how it goes.
3. Bypass the router and hardwire straight to the modem.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:51 PM

Oh, this is 5 days old, so......

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:51 PM

It's 5 days old but I still sees it! :)

Thanks for the response. It's been behaving fairly well lately but the problems still come and go. It's so darned confusing. I'm gonna try the firmware update first.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:44 PM

You never did comment to my reply #3

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:03 AM

I was browsing the web and found a website that checks the DNS Spoofability and looks as if on this site that it will not only check your DNS it will lock up your wireless router if it can't handle the requests. Belkin seems to be the top brand that freezes. check it out. And here is the site for the Router Crash test. He also has a great DNS Benchmark that you should run as well that will help find the fastest DNS closest to you. You could get a faster internet connection.

uByte

#8 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

It's funny that you mention DNS. I think I have found the reason why chrome is giving me problems.

I use OpenDNS because I do. I don't have a reason other than it's faster than the DNS servers my ISP provides which should be reason enough. Anyways... there is a setting in chrome if you click the Wrench icon > Options > Under the hood tab > Use DNS pre-fetching.... I disabled the DNS pre-fetching setting. I noticed during my browsing that pages would often load slowly with messages at the bottom of the browser such as "Resolving proxy" or "Waiting for response".

It always seemed to me like the problem was during domain name resolution. After disabling the "Use DNS prefetching" setting, the problems disappeared. I'm not really sure why this conflict exists but it does and disabling this setting helped me a lot. Maybe the issues will surface again later but for now everything is fine. Yes, I know Belkin is crappy but the router was on sale :)
for3ver,
goose90proof

#9 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

The DNS pre-fetching is really what makes chrome fast. They say the fastest browser out there because they have a lot of it cached so they aren't waiting on the reply from the domain. Have you noticed a speed drop since you have done that?

I get great deals from newegg all the time with wireless routers. This one is a great cheap one that allows you to extend the network and the best part is that it is not a Belkin.

uByte

Edited by uByte, 10 January 2011 - 03:04 PM.

#10 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

That is a good deal but it's only a G. I have an XBOX in the other room that prefers N routers :)

I haven't noticed any significant drop in performance after disabling pre-fetching. It's still the fastest, cleanest browser I've ever used. I really like the minimalistic approach that they took. I have zero toolbars. The only one I would want would be a google toolbar and the address bar functions as a google search. That is just fantastic. It's stable, remembers what I was looking at if it does crash. It's awesome. I love the personal home page with the 8 thumbnails of your 8 favorite sites. BC is one of them :)
for3ver,
goose90proof

#11 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

I admit that Chrome is nice but I still love my firefox. I have a lot of ad-ons that I use in firefox and they just don't have them in chrome. The only one that they have is ad block (if you haven't downloaded it you must it gets rid of all the ads).

I read an article where Google was going to stop support for the h.264 codec (which is what 90% of the videos on the web is using) in lieu of the WebM codec. I know Microsoft, Apple, and Google normally set standards but I don't understand why they go to the extremes sometimes. Here is the an article about it.

uByte

Edited by uByte, 13 January 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#12 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

I love FireFox!!! I still use it. Not that much but I do. It's been pretty buggy for me lately. I don't know what's going on. It's like the Internet is attacking me!

I just like how simple Chrome is.

FireFox represents open web which is awesome.

I wouldn't use IE at all but for three reasons:

A) It's a good shortcut for changing connection configurations for Windows.

B) My online classes demand IE

C) Bill Gates would kill me in my sleep if I uninstalled it.
for3ver,
goose90proof

#13 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Bill Gates would kill me in my sleep if I uninstalled it.

Its is a intricate part of the OS so it would break to much in windows to uninstall it.

But you are right about chrome being simple. It is nice in that way. It probably the best one out there for news type browsing.

Have you played around with Opera? My friend swears that its his new browser butter than the others combined. I think its nice but I love my firfox.

uByte

#14 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

Haven't really played with opera. It's supposed to be fast but I'm good with what I've got.
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users