Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BZP 'sandbox' app blanks Win XP3 desktop startup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hello from a 'noob lurker' and not a very sharp one at that.

Can anyone guide me towards fixing the Win startup problem below, perhaps using Ubuntu V9.04 'live disc'?

....On a DellDim E520 running XP3 ( on C:\ partition ) I downloaded/installed a 'sandbox' type app called BufferZone Pro ( on D:\ partition ). The installation called for a reboot, which I OK'd. The restart ran through the Win splashscreen/jingle to 'Loading your personal preferences' and should then have displayed my standard desktop with app icons/shortcuts.

Instead I got a lightblue background and NO app icons/shortcuts. Nuttin' apart from a moveable but non-functioning cursor. The BZP app seems to have locked me out of everything, while keeping Windows up and running. I can see from my router that traffic flows, so I guess that ADSL connection is made and normal app updates-checking is going on in the background.

F8/'Safe Mode' gives an apparently-OK Win startup, with splashscreen/jingle, then a blank black screen with 'Safe Mode' in the corners, a moveable cursor, and no options.

'Last known working config' produces, after the Windows splash screen, the same blank lightblue background screen - with no icons and no options. It seems the system thinks that Windows starts up OK, and that BZP is doing what it should, so the last known working config is exactly that....

I can startup into a 'Safe Mode with command prompt' mode, can change dirdectories and can input - I believe - DOS instructions, but I need advice on whether and how this can be used to uninstall BZP or initiate a Restore Point far enough back. I have the Dell Restore disc, but I believe that wipes all data, on all partitions, which I'm unwilling to accept.

I've boot/started the machine using a Ubuntu 9.04 'live disc' which lets me see the directory which holds the BZP folders, but I don't know how to use that Ubuntu OS to uninstall the errant program. There must be a way into this system which permits me to 'reel back' the functioning of BZP, short of a reformat and data loss.

Maybe, if there's a way, you guys can tell me how.

Anyone know?

I'm happy to receive emails on this...at Removed to protect from spammers etc. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 December 2010 - 11:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

I've sorted this. I used the Alexandrian technique....

Now I have a new trilobyte HDD, a new OS, a new suite of essential softwares, and a new start to the next decade.

I found my way to one of Microsoft's MVP's - a happily-retired boating nut like me - and he persuaded me it simply is not worth trying to find out what went wrong, then fixing it. He got out some of his forensic apps, removed my data, rebuilt my software environment, and junked the offending HDD and the firmware/software on it.

This 'bear of little brain' doesn't know a whole lot of stuff himself, but has always managed by working out who does have the knowledge and where he/they will be found....

Then I went sailing with a friend, which was a whole lot healthier way to spend yeaterday than tearing my hair out over a hard-worked but unresponsive keyboard.

Life's too short....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users